Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system - Embedded

This is a discussion on Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system - Embedded ; Hi, I have a set up a linux system with make-from-scratch for a little "semi-embedded" System. Builds and runs fine. Unfortunately the requirements have shifted under me and the vendor has changed Chips without notice. Now we have about 90 ...

  1. Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

    Hi,

    I have a set up a linux system with make-from-scratch for a little
    "semi-embedded" System. Builds and runs fine.

    Unfortunately the requirements have shifted under me and the vendor
    has changed Chips without notice. Now we have about 90 of the boxes
    that my kernel does not boot on.

    The symptom is that it stops right away. Typed from off the screen
    as I don't know any other way of getting the stuff out of a dead
    system:

    > invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP
    > modules linked in:
    >
    > Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted
    > EIP: 0060: [] EFLAGS: 00000246 CPU: 0
    > EIP is at identify_cpu+0x193/0x2bf

    ... more register dumps
    > Call Trace:
    > [] identify_boot_cpu+0xa/0x14
    > [] check_bugs+0xa/0xce
    > [] start_kernel+0x2d1/0x2e3

    ... more dumped data
    > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

    Am I right to assume that the kernel cannot identify my CPU?

    Well. Neither could I :-). The vendor finally sent me the output of
    cat /proc/cpuinfo so they seem to have a linux built for the new
    chip but are playing hard to get in giving more information like
    what kernel and the config used to build it.

    > processor : 0
    > vendor_id : SiS SiS SiS
    > cpu family : 5
    > model : 0
    > model name : ff/00
    > stepping : 5
    > cpu MHz : 200.008
    > fdiv_bug : no
    > hlt_bug : no
    > f00f_bug : no
    > coma_bug : no
    > fpu : yes
    > fpu_exception : yes
    > cpuid level : 1
    > wp : yes
    > flags : fpu tsc cx8 mmx
    > bogomips : 398.95

    I gather that is a SiS 55x System-on-a-chip.

    My kernel is built 2.6.25.4 sources. Architecture is x86/generic, no
    specific optimizations selected.

    Can someone explain to me what exactly is wrong here? Maybe give hints
    on how to configure the kernel to make it compatible with this new
    machine?

    Ciao, MM
    --
    Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
    http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de

    --
    Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
    http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
    "Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you
    do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

  2. Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

    Marian Aldenhövel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a set up a linux system with make-from-scratch for a little
    > "semi-embedded" System. Builds and runs fine.
    >
    > Unfortunately the requirements have shifted under me and the vendor
    > has changed Chips without notice. Now we have about 90 of the boxes
    > that my kernel does not boot on.
    >
    > The symptom is that it stops right away. Typed from off the screen
    > as I don't know any other way of getting the stuff out of a dead
    > system:
    >
    > > invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP

    Seems this kernel was built for a "higher" CPU. Something like i686 and now
    this kernel should run on i586. Take a look into the Kconfig menu, what CPU
    type is selected in your kernel.

    Hope it helps.
    JB

  3. Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

    Hi,

    > Seems this kernel was built for a "higher" CPU. Something like i686 andnow
    > this kernel should run on i586.

    I built it for 386 and no special optimizations.

    Ciao, MM
    --
    Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
    http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
    "Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you
    do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

  4. Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

    On Jun 1, 9:52 pm, Marian Aldenhövel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > > Seems this kernel was built for a "higher" CPU. Something like i686 and now
    > > this kernel should run on i586.

    > I built it for 386 and no special optimizations.
    >
    > Ciao, MM
    > --
    > Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonnhttp://www.marian-aldenhoevel..de
    > "Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you
    > do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

    What does your .config file look like ?

  5. Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

    Hi,

    > What does your .config file look like ?

    I have uploaded it to:

    http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de/tmp..._2.6.25.4-dist

    Ciao, MM
    --
    Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn
    http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
    "Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you
    do something and the time you tell a woman what you did."

  6. Re: Linux Kernel for SiS 55x SoC based system

    Marian Aldenhövel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    >> What does your .config file look like ?

    > I have uploaded it to:
    >
    > http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de/tmp..._2.6.25.4-dist

    Seems all right. Try to ask this question on LKML.

    Juergen

+ Reply to Thread