sash and msh shells - Embedded

This is a discussion on sash and msh shells - Embedded ; I'd like to run a not completely initialization script in a µCLinux system. I can run the "sash" and/or the "msh" shell (sash is the default, msh can be enabled via busybox). I need to do some "if" clauses. Does ...

  1. sash and msh shells

    I'd like to run a not completely initialization script in a µCLinux
    system. I can run the "sash" and/or the "msh" shell (sash is the
    default, msh can be enabled via busybox).

    I need to do some "if" clauses.

    Does sash and/or msh provide "if" ? What can be used as decisions ?
    (e.g. directory exist, results of commands, ...) What is the syntax ?

    I need to use some variables.

    I do know that both can do variables, but sash does not have "export".
    Are all variables exported by sash, or does it export none ?

    I suppose both can do "source" ("." command) to let me set variables
    from a file.

    Can somebody point me to descriptions of sash and msh ?

    Thanks,

    -Michael

  2. Re: sash and msh shells

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:14:23 +0200, Michael Schnell rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > I'd like to run a not completely initialization script in a µCLinux
    > system. I can run the "sash" and/or the "msh" shell (sash is the
    > default, msh can be enabled via busybox).
    >
    > I need to do some "if" clauses.
    >
    > Does sash and/or msh provide "if" ? What can be used as decisions ?
    > (e.g. directory exist, results of commands, ...) What is the syntax ?
    >

    > I need to use some variables.
    >
    > I do know that both can do variables, but sash does not have "export".
    > Are all variables exported by sash, or does it export none ?
    >
    > I suppose both can do "source" ("." command) to let me set variables
    > from a file.
    >
    > Can somebody point me to descriptions of sash and msh ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Michael

    Google is over this way ---> try "sash shell" or "stand alone shell"

  3. Re: sash and msh shells

    > Google is over this way ---> try "sash shell" or "stand alone shell"

    Yep,

    I did find the sash man page in a Linux installation.

    But I did not find anything about conditional execution. Is it true that
    sash can't do any "if" ?

    Moreover I did not find out if sash exports all it's variables into the
    environment of the processes it starts.

    I did not find any description of msh, that I heard is recommended if
    you want to do things sash can't.

    -Michael

  4. Re: sash and msh shells

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 17:25:42 +0200, Michael Schnell rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    >> Google is over this way ---> try "sash shell" or "stand alone shell"
    >>

    > Yep,
    >
    > I did find the sash man page in a Linux installation.
    >
    > But I did not find anything about conditional execution. Is it true that
    > sash can't do any "if" ?
    >
    > Moreover I did not find out if sash exports all it's variables into the
    > environment of the processes it starts.
    >
    > I did not find any description of msh, that I heard is recommended if
    > you want to do things sash can't.
    >
    > -Michael

    From the description, 'sash' is something that is usually only used when
    nothing else will run (ie. system is scrogged).

+ Reply to Thread