Qemu /dev/zero - Embedded

This is a discussion on Qemu /dev/zero - Embedded ; Hi all, I was emulating kernel image and rootfs using qemu. qemu -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default -initrd test.cpio.gz /dev/ zero as mentioned in ramfs-rotfs documentation. every thing works fine. But i have some confusion here... What is the role of /dev/zero. anyone ...

  1. Qemu /dev/zero

    Hi all,

    I was emulating kernel image and rootfs using qemu.

    qemu -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default -initrd test.cpio.gz /dev/
    zero
    as mentioned in ramfs-rotfs documentation.
    every thing works fine. But i have some confusion here...

    What is the role of /dev/zero.

    anyone please explain..

    Regards,
    Nabendu

  2. Re: Qemu /dev/zero

    Nabendu wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I was emulating kernel image and rootfs using qemu.
    >
    > qemu -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default -initrd test.cpio.gz /dev/
    > zero
    > as mentioned in ramfs-rotfs documentation.
    > every thing works fine. But i have some confusion here...
    >
    > What is the role of /dev/zero.
    >
    > anyone please explain..
    >
    > Regards,
    > Nabendu

    Search at google with: "what is /dev/zero for" turned up:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 400,000 for what is /dev/zero for. (0.29 seconds)

    Best result is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//dev/zero

    YOU could have done the same...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: Qemu /dev/zero

    On May 19, 7:36 pm, Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Nabendu wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    > > I was emulating kernel image and rootfs using qemu.

    > > qemu -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default -initrd test.cpio.gz /dev/
    > > zero
    > > as mentioned in ramfs-rotfs documentation.
    > > every thing works fine. But i have some confusion here...

    > > What is the role of /dev/zero.

    > > anyone please explain..

    > > Regards,
    > > Nabendu

    > Search at google with: "what is /dev/zero for" turned up:
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 400,000 for what is /dev/zero for. (0.29 seconds)
    >
    > Best result is:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//dev/zero
    >
    > YOU could have done the same...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry McBride (jmcbr...@mail-on.us)

    I think i wanted to know "what is the role of /dev/zero here?"..in the
    qemu command..

    qemu -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default -initrd test.cpio.gz /dev/
    zero

    when i am not using /dev/zero qemu is executing and shutting down the
    run window..why thats so..

    Regards,
    Nabendu

  4. Re: Qemu /dev/zero

    Nabendu schrieb:

    > I was emulating kernel image and rootfs using qemu.
    >
    > qemu -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default -initrd test.cpio.gz /dev/
    > zero
    >
    > What is the role of /dev/zero.

    Qemu requires you to specify a hard disk to boot from. Obviously, if you
    load a kernel directly and have your root file system on a ramdisk, you
    don't need it. But you still have to specify it: Your emulated hda is
    /dev/zero - nothing.

    Another approach would be to have a command line like:

    qemu -kernel vmlinux-2.6 -initrd test.cpio.gz -hda /dev/zero

    You could have read this in the Qemu documentation, too. It is mentioned
    there.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  5. Re: Qemu /dev/zero

    On May 21, 11:02 am, Sebastian wrote:
    > Nabendu schrieb:
    >

    > > I was emulating kernel image and rootfs using qemu.

    > > qemu -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default -initrd test.cpio.gz /dev/
    > > zero

    > > What is the role of /dev/zero.

    > Qemu requires you to specify a hard disk to boot from. Obviously, if you
    > load a kernel directly and have your root file system on a ramdisk, you
    > don't need it. But you still have to specify it: Your emulated hda is
    > /dev/zero - nothing.
    >
    > Another approach would be to have a command line like:
    >
    > qemu -kernel vmlinux-2.6 -initrd test.cpio.gz -hda /dev/zero
    >
    > You could have read this in the Qemu documentation, too. It is mentioned
    > there.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sebastian

    Thanks a lot.I should have read that.