Message Queues (2.4 vs. 2.6) - Embedded

This is a discussion on Message Queues (2.4 vs. 2.6) - Embedded ; I am seeing a dramatic difference between 2.4.26 and 2.6.10 in how fast messages are transferred to a log file using a message queue, i.e., using msgsnd & msgrcv. On 2.4.26, the messages appear in the log file in at ...

  1. Message Queues (2.4 vs. 2.6)

    I am seeing a dramatic difference between 2.4.26 and 2.6.10 in how
    fast messages are transferred to a log file using a message queue,
    i.e., using msgsnd & msgrcv. On 2.4.26, the messages appear in the
    log file in at most a few seconds. On 2.6.10, it may take 20 to 30
    seconds before the messages appear in the log file. Since the log
    file is there primarily to help debug crashes, very little useful
    information is there with this large delay. I am using a powerpc
    processor.

    Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior in 2.4 vs. 2.6 and are
    there any suggestions on how to fix it?

  2. Re: Message Queues (2.4 vs. 2.6)

    Bill wrote:

    > I am seeing a dramatic difference between 2.4.26 and 2.6.10 in how
    > fast messages are transferred to a log file using a message queue,
    > i.e., using msgsnd & msgrcv. On 2.4.26, the messages appear in the
    > log file in at most a few seconds. On 2.6.10, it may take 20 to 30
    > seconds before the messages appear in the log file. Since the log
    > file is there primarily to help debug crashes, very little useful
    > information is there with this large delay. I am using a powerpc
    > processor.
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior in 2.4 vs. 2.6 and are
    > there any suggestions on how to fix it?

    I can't believe that it's intrinsic to 2.6 . We're using an up-to-date
    Debian 4 release, and getting response times in very small fractions of a
    second using msgsnd/msgrcv. It's a music playing app, and even a delay
    like 1/4 second would be intolerable. We've paid no great attention to
    setting up the message queue -- just used nice to give priority to our
    critical processes.

    Mel.

+ Reply to Thread