bourne shell under uClinux - Embedded

This is a discussion on bourne shell under uClinux - Embedded ; I am trying to get shell variables in the system rc file to be global for all shell scripts. The export command only seems to provide this for scripts run directly from the rc file. Where/how are the system PATH, ...

  1. bourne shell under uClinux

    I am trying to get shell variables in the system rc file to be global
    for all shell scripts. The export command only seems to provide this for
    scripts run directly from the rc file.

    Where/how are the system PATH, SHELL, HOME vars defined, since they are
    global.

    thanks

  2. Re: bourne shell under uClinux

    _Which_ shell do you use ? Is it really "bash" ? How did you configure it ?

    -Michael

  3. Re: bourne shell under uClinux

    tns1 wrote:

    > I am trying to get shell variables in the system rc file to be global
    > for all shell scripts. The export command only seems to provide this for
    > scripts run directly from the rc file.
    >
    > Where/how are the system PATH, SHELL, HOME vars defined, since they are
    > global.

    Different shells are reading different files from etc/ and $HOME/ for this
    purpose. You should run "man "

    JB

  4. Re: bourne shell under uClinux

    tns1 wrote:
    > I am trying to get shell variables in the system rc file to be global
    > for all shell scripts. The export command only seems to provide this for
    > scripts run directly from the rc file.
    >
    > Where/how are the system PATH, SHELL, HOME vars defined, since they are
    > global.
    >
    > thanks

    This is 'sh', not bash on a Busybox distro. Does it expect to see a
    system rc file somewhere?

  5. Re: bourne shell under uClinux

    tns1 wrote:
    > I am trying to get shell variables in the system rc file to be global
    > for all shell scripts. The export command only seems to provide this for
    > scripts run directly from the rc file.
    >
    > Where/how are the system PATH, SHELL, HOME vars defined, since they are
    > global.
    >
    > thanks

    It looks like I am able to create global vars by exporting them from
    /etc/profile

  6. Re: bourne shell under uClinux

    tns1 wrote:
    > tns1 wrote:
    >> I am trying to get shell variables in the system rc file to be global
    >> for all shell scripts. The export command only seems to provide this
    >> for scripts run directly from the rc file.
    >>
    >> Where/how are the system PATH, SHELL, HOME vars defined, since they
    >> are global.
    >>
    >> thanks

    > It looks like I am able to create global vars by exporting them from
    > /etc/profile

    Spoke too soon. Global variables created in profile are present only
    when logged in, so they are useless for autonomous (autolaunch)
    configurations like mine. I am just looking for a way to define the
    network settings in one place, yet have them available system-wide.

  7. Re: bourne shell under uClinux

    > Global variables created in profile are present only
    > when logged in,

    What do you mean by "Global variables" ?

    > so they are useless for autonomous (autolaunch)
    > configurations like mine.

    What do you mean by "autolaunch" ?

    > I am just looking for a way to define the
    > network settings in one place, yet have them available system-wide.

    What do you mean by "in one place" ?
    What do you mean by "system-wide" ?

    To provide some information "system-wide" it can be stored in a file and
    thus is is "in one place".

    If multiple shells are started "export" variables only are copied to the
    shells' environments, if one is spawned by another. Shells also can be
    spawned by other programs (e.g. init or telnetd) independently from the
    shell tat interprets the start up script(s) (usually something like "rc").

    Some shells look at one or more config file(s) that allow(s) (e.g.) for
    executing a script before a prompt is shown.

    If your shell(s) are used to run scripts, you can simply start each
    script with "sourcing" (calling) a central standard script (e.g. ".
    /etc/setvars") ("." means "source": don't spawn another shell).

    -Michael

  8. Re: bourne shell under uClinux

    Michael Schnell wrote:
    > > Global variables created in profile are present only
    >> when logged in,

    > What do you mean by "Global variables" ?
    >
    >> so they are useless for autonomous (autolaunch) configurations like mine.

    > What do you mean by "autolaunch" ?
    >
    >> I am just looking for a way to define the network settings in one
    >> place, yet have them available system-wide.
    >>

    > What do you mean by "in one place" ?
    > What do you mean by "system-wide" ?
    >
    > To provide some information "system-wide" it can be stored in a file and
    > thus is is "in one place".
    >
    > If multiple shells are started "export" variables only are copied to the
    > shells' environments, if one is spawned by another. Shells also can be
    > spawned by other programs (e.g. init or telnetd) independently from the
    > shell tat interprets the start up script(s) (usually something like "rc").
    >
    > Some shells look at one or more config file(s) that allow(s) (e.g.) for
    > executing a script before a prompt is shown.
    >
    > If your shell(s) are used to run scripts, you can simply start each
    > script with "sourcing" (calling) a central standard script (e.g. ".
    > /etc/setvars") ("." means "source": don't spawn another shell).
    >
    > -Michael

    Using the sourcing syntax was what I needed, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread