kernel command line question - Embedded

This is a discussion on kernel command line question - Embedded ; I am building a 2.6.10 kernel for iMX21ads board and it is not booting. (I have a 2.4.20 kernel port for the same board that works nice.) I am not getting uncompressing linux and anything beyond that. I only get ...

  1. kernel command line question

    I am building a 2.6.10 kernel for iMX21ads board and it is not
    booting. (I have a 2.4.20 kernel port for the same board that works
    nice.)

    I am not getting uncompressing linux and anything beyond that. I only
    get starting kernel from blob bootloader where nothing I did not
    change anything from 2.4 to 2.6. I have a couple of questions:

    1. Is the "general setup-> default kernel command string" really
    required if I am passing the arguments to the kenrel via bootloader's
    boot command? On bootloader prompt I give "boot root=/dev/mtdblock2
    noinitrd ip=none" in both 2.4 and 2.6

    2. I have taken arch/arm/mach-mx2ads and include/asm/arch-mx2ads from
    2.4 and put in 2.6 at proper locations and built it after some
    modifications. I have modified some Kconfigs and the makefiles. I know
    the code reaches head.s but does not call decompress_kernel. What
    could be going wrong?

    Thanks
    Ashish

  2. Re: kernel command line question

    On Apr 29, 3:21 pm, Ashish wrote:
    > I am building a 2.6.10 kernel for iMX21ads board and it is not
    > booting. (I have a 2.4.20 kernel port for the same board that works
    > nice.)
    >
    > I am not getting uncompressing linux and anything beyond that. I only
    > get "starting kernel" from blob bootloader where nothing I did not
    > change anything from 2.4 to 2.6. It freezes after saying "starting kernel". I have a couple of questions:
    >
    > 1. Is the "general setup-> default kernel command string" really
    > required if I am passing the arguments to the kenrel via bootloader's
    > boot command? On bootloader prompt I give "boot root=/dev/mtdblock2
    > noinitrd ip=none" in both 2.4 and 2.6
    >
    > 2. I have taken arch/arm/mach-mx2ads and include/asm/arch-mx2ads from
    > 2.4 and put in 2.6 at proper locations and built it after some
    > modifications. I have modified some Kconfigs and the makefiles. I know
    > the code reaches head.s but does not call decompress_kernel. What
    > could be going wrong?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ashish

    The thing I want to ask in question 2 is if I have the same head.s in
    both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel, why would head.s in 2.6 not call
    decompress_kernel? What are the things that should be correct for
    head.s to function properly and call decompress_kernel without any
    trouble?

+ Reply to Thread