Any low cost solution for flash programming on PowerPC 405GP JTAG? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Any low cost solution for flash programming on PowerPC 405GP JTAG? - Embedded ; [Test] I am trying to use a real news server rather than posting from google.groups. Sorry for repeat posts if you did not filter it before. I wonder in order to avoid treating as SPAM, should I assign email address ...

  1. Any low cost solution for flash programming on PowerPC 405GP JTAG?

    [Test] I am trying to use a real news server rather than posting
    from google.groups. Sorry for repeat posts if you did not filter
    it before. I wonder in order to avoid treating as SPAM, should I
    assign email address other than my gmail account? ^_^ Or will my
    post be still SPAM-like even if I send articles through real news
    server?

    Howdy,

    I have a PowerPC 405GP Walnut eval board. Recently, by accident,
    the flash which stores U-Boot is corrupted. Therefore the board cannot
    boot now. I want to use the JTAG port on the board to rewrite the
    flash with new U-Boot. I found many products for this propers, but
    they are too expensive for me. It costs $1000-$3000... >_< Eg:
    BDI2000, Silicon Probe... What I really want is simply use JTAG
    wiggler and a flash programmer to download uboot into flash. That's
    all! Nothing else. It would be very pleased if anyone can tell me some
    relatively low cost method to do so.
    Thank you very much.

    ---
    ShenLei

  2. Re: Any low cost solution for flash programming on PowerPC 405GP JTAG?

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.embedded, in article
    , ShenLei wrote:

    >[Test] I am trying to use a real news server rather than posting
    >from google.groups. Sorry for repeat posts if you did not filter
    >it before. I wonder in order to avoid treating as SPAM, should I
    >assign email address other than my gmail account? ^_^

    Now you make me feel bad - more so because I don't have an answer to
    your actual Flash reload problem. Have you tried at amcc.com?

    The Bentium news server is a good one, and I've not seen much spam
    posted from it. As for using a gmail, hotmail, or yahoo account,
    there is some risk of users being filtered, but it's a lot less than
    the risk of filtering due to being posted from google.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Any low cost solution for flash programming on PowerPC 405GP JTAG?

    ShenLei wrote:

    > I have a PowerPC 405GP Walnut eval board. Recently, by accident,
    > the flash which stores U-Boot is corrupted. Therefore the board cannot
    > boot now. I want to use the JTAG port on the board to rewrite the
    > flash with new U-Boot. I found many products for this propers, but
    > they are too expensive for me. It costs $1000-$3000... >_<

    Oups :-(

    > Eg:
    > BDI2000, Silicon Probe... What I really want is simply use JTAG
    > wiggler and a flash programmer to download uboot into flash. That's
    > all! Nothing else. It would be very pleased if anyone can tell me some
    > relatively low cost method to do so.

    Have you googled for "linux jtag"? It lists some software for linux, even
    free ones. You may have a look at the supported cable types. There are
    schematics available to build your own parallel-to-jtag cable:
    http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/...are/JTAG_Cable

    I haven't used the mentioned cable types but I used a parallel cable: it's
    slow. So the best would be to download just small program into RAM and use
    a serial line to control that for download, flash erase etc.

    Bye,
    Vitus

    --
    Vitus Jensen, Hannover, Germany, Earth, Milky Way, Universe (current)

+ Reply to Thread