Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ? - Embedded ; Hi I've known many ways to co-exist Windows and Linux : 1. I can use VMWare or Microsoft VPC . 2. I can use Cygwin or coLinux . 3. I can use boot manager to divide HD partitions for each ...

  1. Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ?

    Hi

    I've known many ways to co-exist Windows and Linux :

    1. I can use VMWare or Microsoft VPC .
    2. I can use Cygwin or coLinux .
    3. I can use boot manager to divide HD partitions for each system .

    How do you suggest the best choice for Linux and embedded Linux
    development ?

    ( If I need to keep Microsoft Windows for many softwares .)

    Thank you .

  2. Re: Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ?

    Kid wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've known many ways to co-exist Windows and Linux :
    >
    > 1. I can use VMWare or Microsoft VPC .
    > 2. I can use Cygwin or coLinux .
    > 3. I can use boot manager to divide HD partitions for each system .
    >
    > How do you suggest the best choice for Linux and embedded Linux
    > development ?
    >
    > ( If I need to keep Microsoft Windows for many softwares .)

    If you want to run a Linux-like environment within a basic windows host,
    good choices are:

    mingw/msys (fast, "native" windows versions of common *nix tools, but
    lacks full posix support and more advanced *nix tools)

    cygwin (fairly complete posix support and *nix development environment,
    but feels a little alien within windows and has cygwin1.dll hell)

    VirtualBox (free virtual machine manager - runs windows and Linux guests
    on windows and Linux hosts. The full version supports USB)

    I wouldn't bother with coLinux - it has somewhat lost its point after
    tools like VirtualBox matured.

    VMWare works okay, but it's expensive for the full desktop version -
    VirtualBox does pretty much the same thing for free.

    As for Microsoft VPC, I don't know. Windows 2K and XP are okay as
    desktop systems, but I can't think of any other Microsoft software that
    holds any appeal.

    Dual booting works fine if you can separate your Linux and your windows
    work - frequently, that's quite difficult.

    I use mingw/msys where I can, cygwin where I have to. For work that is
    more natural under Linux, I use kubuntu under VirtualBox. For some
    testing work, I also use virtual windows boxes. You can also use a
    Linux host and run windows programs in a VirtualBox machine.

    Make sure you've got plenty of ram for your virtual machines, and get an
    extra network card. If you set that up as a bridge in your host, you
    can bridge your guests' virtual network cards to the second network card
    and thus let them have direct access to the network.

  3. Re: Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ?

    > I've known many ways to co-exist Windows and Linux :
    >
    > 1. I can use VMWare or Microsoft VPC .
    > 2. I can use Cygwin or coLinux .
    > 3. I can use boot manager to divide HD partitions for each system .

    There are a lot more virtualization platforms now. E.g. VBox (That is
    the one I use), XEN (supported by Novell, running on Linux you can
    install Windows as a guest) Parallel, ....

    Cygwin is exceptionally slow and often causes problems, but of course
    it's the tightest possible integration if you only need Linux command
    line tools.

    -Michael

  4. Re: Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ?

    "Kid" schreef in bericht
    > Hi
    >
    > I've known many ways to co-exist Windows and Linux :
    >
    > 1. I can use VMWare or Microsoft VPC .
    > 2. I can use Cygwin or coLinux .
    > 3. I can use boot manager to divide HD partitions for each system .
    >
    > How do you suggest the best choice for Linux and embedded Linux
    > development ?
    >
    > ( If I need to keep Microsoft Windows for many softwares .)
    >

    > Thank you .

    I use Linux hosts with the free VMware Server to virtualize a few Windows
    and Linux versions.
    Linux gives me a much better performance than using Windows as a host.

    Just make sure you have plenty of memory to keep the most important virtual
    machines from swapping. Also use multi-core processors and assign only one
    CPU for a virtual machine.

    I use quad-core 2.4GHz machines with Linux and VMware Server to virtualize a
    Windows 2003 Terminal Server for 10 users, a Windows 2003 Small Business
    Server with Exchange and a Linux web server. Occasionally a few test virtual
    machines are also running with Linux, Windows 98, 2000, XP and Vista to test
    software.
    It works like a charm (after tuning the host and VMware for optimum IO
    performance).

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread