Force to load the module - Embedded

This is a discussion on Force to load the module - Embedded ; Hi, I understand from the man page of insmod that it is not possible to force insmod if the symbol names in the module do not match the kernel. But, Is it possible to force the loading of the modules, ...

  1. Force to load the module

    Hi,
    I understand from the man page of insmod that it is not possible to
    force insmod if the symbol names in the module do not match the
    kernel.
    But, Is it possible to force the loading of the modules, even if the
    symbol names in the module do not match the kernel through some other
    methods ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: Force to load the module

    karthikbalaguru wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I understand from the man page of insmod that it is not possible to
    > force insmod if the symbol names in the module do not match the
    > kernel.
    > But, Is it possible to force the loading of the modules, even if the
    > symbol names in the module do not match the kernel through some other
    > methods ?
    >
    > Thx in advans,
    > Karthik Balaguru

    You did not say it, but let's guess that you're asking
    a Linux module question.

    A kernel module is a piece or relocatable kernel code
    which is linked to the resident kernel when it is inserted.
    The base level tool to insert a module is insmod.

    Even if you could insert modules with mismatching symbols,
    there is no way to sensibly build the links between the
    module and the resident code. This translates to: Forcibly
    inserted modules would occupy kernel memory, but they cannot
    work due to lacking linkages.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. Re: Force to load the module

    karthikbalaguru wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I understand from the man page of insmod that it is not possible to
    > force insmod if the symbol names in the module do not match the
    > kernel.
    > But, Is it possible to force the loading of the modules, even if the
    > symbol names in the module do not match the kernel through some other
    > methods ?

    If you use busybox on your target hardware, there is an 'insmod -f '
    which will force the module into the wrong kernel version.

    HTH,
    John McCallum

+ Reply to Thread