Best Emb-distro for Arcade Games - Embedded

This is a discussion on Best Emb-distro for Arcade Games - Embedded ; Hello, I need to install a Linux Embedded distribution that simply launch an application for an Arcade game from a compact flash on Via Epia board...whitch distribution/docs I need? Thank alot!...

  1. Best Emb-distro for Arcade Games

    Hello,

    I need to install a Linux Embedded distribution that simply launch an
    application for an Arcade game from a compact flash on Via Epia
    board...whitch distribution/docs I need?

    Thank alot!

  2. Re: Best Emb-distro for Arcade Games

    Hello,

    > I need to install a Linux Embedded distribution that simply launch an
    > application for an Arcade game from a compact flash on Via Epia
    > board...whitch distribution/docs I need?

    If you only want to start an application directly after booting a kernel on
    x86, you could simply build a kernel, build a file system on your CF and
    copy a statically-linked version of your game onto that CF. Then create any
    files your app needs and create a symlink to /sbin/init. The kernel will
    then run your app automatically (and panic, if it ends).

    Another option is using Busybox for getting both init and a shell, create
    some scripts and be happy. You don't need a full-blown distribution, if you
    can compile the game for yourself (maybe even with a cross-compiler).

    Documentation ... well, compiling a kernel, compiling busybox and maybe
    something about cross-compilers. I personally use buildroot [
    http://buildroot.uclibc.org ] to create my toolchain and the busybox-binary.
    Everything else is work, but not too hard. Busybox' documentation [
    http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html ] is useful.

    Everything else depends on your application.

    Regards,
    Sebastian

  3. Re: Best Emb-distro for Arcade Games

    > Documentation ... well, compiling a kernel, compiling busybox and maybe
    > something about cross-compilers. I personally use buildroot [
    > http://buildroot.uclibc.org ] to create my toolchain and the
    > busybox-binary. Everything else is work, but not too hard. Busybox'
    > documentation [ http://www.busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html ] is useful.
    >
    > Everything else depends on your application.

    THANKS ALOT Sebastian!!! ;-)

+ Reply to Thread