Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers - Embedded

This is a discussion on Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers - Embedded ; It has been suggested in prior posts that response time and real-time behaviors may be improved by moving a time-critical task into a kernel driver due to the lower latency. An isr was also mentioned but it isn't clear if ...

  1. Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers

    It has been suggested in prior posts that response time and real-time
    behaviors may be improved by moving a time-critical task into a kernel
    driver due to the lower latency. An isr was also mentioned but it isn't
    clear if kernel drivers are isrs by default, or the particular kernel
    driver would want to also install an isr.

    Do kernel drivers differ greatly from Linux to uClinux?

    I do not currently have the option to upgrade or modify my ucLinux
    kernel, but if there is a way to improve the deterministic behavior with
    better coding (kernel driver, or?) that may be good enough. Can someone
    fill me in on some details?

  2. Re: Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers

    tns1 wrote:

    > It has been suggested in prior posts that response time and real-time
    > behaviors may be improved by moving a time-critical task into a kernel
    > driver due to the lower latency.

    Yes.

    > An isr was also mentioned but it isn't
    > clear if kernel drivers are isrs by default

    A kernel driver is not an isr.

    > , or the particular kernel
    > driver would want to also install an isr.

    Yes.

    > Do kernel drivers differ greatly from Linux to uClinux?

    No.

    > I do not currently have the option to upgrade or modify my ucLinux
    > kernel

    No?
    Is your kernel compiled with module support?
    If yes, you can load a self-compiled kernel module at runtime.

    You should read the linux device driver handbook.

    regards

    Wolfgang

  3. Re: Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers

    Wolfgang Mes wrote:

    > You should read the linux device driver handbook.

    I see several similar books, but not one with this title. Are you
    recommending a particular book here?

  4. Re: Improving real-time behavior with kernel drivers

    >> You should read the linux device driver handbook.
    > I see several similar books, but not one with this title. Are you
    > recommending a particular book here?

    "Linux device drivers" by Rubini and others (on O'Reilly)
    http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Device-D...5473347&sr=1-2
    The content is even available in the Internet.

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread