Wear leveling NOR flashes - Embedded

This is a discussion on Wear leveling NOR flashes - Embedded ; Hello. We have a Xscale based board with NOR flash storage. We are working on ways to detect and recover from file corruption and some questions were raised as a consequence of that: 1- Does JFFS2 do some kind of ...

  1. Wear leveling NOR flashes

    Hello.

    We have a Xscale based board with NOR flash storage. We are working on
    ways to detect and recover from file corruption and some questions
    were raised as a consequence of that:

    1- Does JFFS2 do some kind of wear leveling?
    2- If the answer to 1 above is yes, what is the basic algorithm? AFAIR
    one possible algorithm uses only free blocks for wear leveling; thus
    blocks that keep unmodified files (that is, files in FS that are only
    read) are left alone. Other possible algorithm uses every block for
    wear leveling and copies blocks from unmodified files to other blocks
    so that every block in the flash is evenly used in order to increase
    its lifespan.
    3- If the answer to 1 is no, is some kind of wear leveling done at
    all?

    I tried to figure out from documentation on MTD site but I couldn't.

    Thank you very much in advance for any help.

    Elder.

  2. Re: Wear leveling NOR flashes

    ih8sp4m@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > We have a Xscale based board with NOR flash storage. We are working on
    > ways to detect and recover from file corruption and some questions
    > were raised as a consequence of that:
    >
    > 1- Does JFFS2 do some kind of wear leveling?

    Yes. (But only for flash devices that can be accessed like a RAM
    (Address/Data) and don't do any internal wear leveling.) You need an MTD
    driver that JFFS2 can access the chip through.

    > 2- If the answer to 1 above is yes, what is the basic algorithm?

    No idea look at the source.

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread