Core dump basics - Embedded

This is a discussion on Core dump basics - Embedded ; Hi, I need some basic help about core dumps inspection. I'm inspecting mips core dumps on PC host with a cross gdb (version 6.3). First of my problems, Linux looks like not dumping shared libraries. With gdb I need to ...

  1. Core dump basics

    Hi,

    I need some basic help about core dumps inspection. I'm inspecting
    mips core dumps on PC host with a cross gdb (version 6.3).

    First of my problems, Linux looks like not dumping shared libraries.

    With gdb I need to use "add-symbol-file" and the address where the
    shared library was loaded. But is there a way to extract those
    informations (library name and address) from the core dump, because
    for now I have to look in /proc//map before the process crashes :
    and this is not always obvious to do this.

    Second of my problems, the stack pointer of the process is not always
    in the state that gdb is awaiting. So he is complaining about
    corrupted stack, and does not print the backtrace in the right way. Is
    there a way to print the backtrace, even when the stack pointer was
    not yet "prepared" by the called function.

  2. Re: Core dump basics

    On Feb 28, 8:58 pm, VspaceG wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need some basic help about core dumps inspection. I'm inspecting
    > mips core dumps on PC host with a cross gdb (version 6.3).
    >
    > First of my problems, Linux looks like not dumping shared libraries.
    >
    > With gdb I need to use "add-symbol-file" and the address where the
    > shared library was loaded. But is there a way to extract those
    > informations (library name and address) from the core dump, because
    > for now I have to look in /proc//map before the process crashes :
    > and this is not always obvious to do this.
    >
    > Second of my problems, the stack pointer of the process is not always
    > in the state that gdb is awaiting. So he is complaining about
    > corrupted stack, and does not print the backtrace in the right way. Is
    > there a way to print the backtrace, even when the stack pointer was
    > not yet "prepared" by the called function.

    The answer to my questions is "solib-search-path".

    thanks,

+ Reply to Thread