mounting the pendrive in the linux pc - Embedded

This is a discussion on mounting the pendrive in the linux pc - Embedded ; hi, when we connect the pen drive in the windows systems it will pop-up showing an external device is being connected.But in case of linux it is not like that.we have to mount the pen drive. how to mount the ...

  1. mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

    hi,
    when we connect the pen drive in the windows systems it will pop-up
    showing an external device is being connected.But in case of linux it
    is not like that.we have to mount the pen drive.
    how to mount the pen drive?
    i havn't tried this .
    can any body tell the sequence of commands to connect the pen drive to
    the linux pc.

    regards,
    siva

  2. Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

    On Feb 27, 1:36 pm, siva wrote:
    > hi,
    > when we connect the pen drive in the windows systems it will pop-up
    > showing an external device is being connected.But in case of linux it
    > is not like that.we have to mount the pen drive.
    > how to mount the pen drive?
    > i havn't tried this .
    > can any body tell the sequence of commands to connect the pen drive to
    > the linux pc.
    >
    > regards,
    > siva

    Dear Siva,

    Kernel 2.6 automatically mounts USB drives. you can monitor the system
    log file /var/log/syslog.
    or plug in the pen drive, and visit /media. Most embedded linux
    systems mount the thumb drive to this folder.

    Sahasranaman
    http://sahasranaman.com

  3. Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

    On Feb 27, 11:14 pm, sahasranaman wrote:
    > On Feb 27, 1:36 pm, siva wrote:
    >
    > > hi,
    > > when we connect the pen drive in the windows systems it will pop-up
    > > showing an external device is being connected.But in case of linux it
    > > is not like that.we have to mount the pen drive.
    > > how to mount the pen drive?
    > > i havn't tried this .
    > > can any body tell the sequence of commands to connect the pen drive to
    > > the linux pc.

    > > regards,
    > > siva

    > Dear Siva,
    >
    > Kernel 2.6 automatically mounts USB drives. you can monitor the system
    > log file /var/log/syslog.
    > or plug in the pen drive, and visit /media. Most embedded linux
    > systems mount the thumb drive to this folder.
    >
    > Sahasranamanhttp://sahasranaman.com

    I beg to differ. Kernel 2.6 (if all the options are included correctly
    [eg:USB, SCSI, Mass Storage ...]) will enumerate the USB stick on the
    USB bus and will associate it with a SCSI device such as /dev/sda1.
    First of all make sure that you have such a node on your /dev
    directory. Otherwise you will need to create it using "mknod /dev/sda
    b 8 0".
    Then you can mount this raw device in to another directory node on
    your system using "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /media/flash" where /media/
    flash is your preferred mount directory.

    Now that is the hard way. Most new distributions (such as Ubuntu)
    have automount tools (such as Udev) that detects device plug in and
    automatically mount these to /media/.... or where ever. Do a Google
    search for automounting USB stick for your distribution.
    And to conserve space, embedded devices usually don't have auto mount
    tools.
    Cheers

  4. Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

    On Feb 28, 6:43 am, Janaka wrote:
    > On Feb 27, 11:14 pm, sahasranaman wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 27, 1:36 pm, siva wrote:

    > > > hi,
    > > > when we connect the pen drive in the windows systems it will pop-up
    > > > showing an external device is being connected.But in case of linux it
    > > > is not like that.we have to mount the pen drive.
    > > > how to mount the pen drive?
    > > > i havn't tried this .
    > > > can any body tell the sequence of commands to connect the pen drive to
    > > > the linux pc.

    > > > regards,
    > > > siva

    > > Dear Siva,

    > > Kernel 2.6 automatically mounts USB drives. you can monitor the system
    > > log file /var/log/syslog.
    > > or plug in the pen drive, and visit /media. Most embedded linux
    > > systems mount the thumb drive to this folder.

    > > Sahasranamanhttp://sahasranaman.com

    > I beg to differ. Kernel 2.6 (if all the options are included correctly
    > [eg:USB, SCSI, Mass Storage ...]) will enumerate the USB stick on the
    > USB bus and will associate it with a SCSI device such as /dev/sda1.
    > First of all make sure that you have such a node on your /dev
    > directory. Otherwise you will need to create it using "mknod /dev/sda
    > b 8 0".
    > Then you can mount this raw device in to another directory node on
    > your system using "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /media/flash" where /media/
    > flash is your preferred mount directory.
    >
    > Now that is the hard way. Most new distributions (such as Ubuntu)
    > have automount tools (such as Udev) that detects device plug in and
    > automatically mount these to /media/.... or where ever. Do a Google
    > search for automounting USB stick for your distribution.
    > And to conserve space, embedded devices usually don't have auto mount
    > tools.
    > Cheers

    Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks Janaka

    I use an embedded linux system based on cirrus logic processor EP9302.
    It uses ARM-Linux and has automount. When I plug a pen drive on the
    board, it gets mounted automatically at /media directory. Maybe it
    would help if Siva gives us the details about the Linux distribution
    he uses.

  5. Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

    On Feb 29, 5:20 am, sahasranaman wrote:
    > On Feb 28, 6:43 am, Janaka wrote:

    > > > Dear Siva,

    > > > Kernel 2.6 automatically mounts USB drives. you can monitor the system
    > > > log file /var/log/syslog.
    > > > or plug in the pen drive, and visit /media. Most embedded linux
    > > > systems mount the thumb drive to this folder.

    > > > Sahasranamanhttp://sahasranaman.com

    > > I beg to differ. Kernel 2.6 (if all the options are included correctly
    > > [eg:USB, SCSI, Mass Storage ...]) will enumerate the USB stick on the
    > > USB bus and will associate it with a SCSI device such as /dev/sda1.
    > > First of all make sure that you have such a node on your /dev
    > > directory. Otherwise you will need to create it using "mknod /dev/sda
    > > b 8 0".
    > > Then you can mount this raw device in to another directory node on
    > > your system using "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /media/flash" where /media/
    > > flash is your preferred mount directory.

    > > Now that is the hard way. Most new distributions (such as Ubuntu)
    > > have automount tools (such as Udev) that detects device plug in and
    > > automatically mount these to /media/.... or where ever. Do a Google
    > > search for automounting USB stick for your distribution.
    > > And to conserve space, embedded devices usually don't have auto mount
    > > tools.
    > > Cheers

    > Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks Janaka
    >
    > I use an embedded linux system based on cirrus logic processor EP9302.
    > It uses ARM-Linux and has automount. When I plug a pen drive on the
    > board, it gets mounted automatically at /media directory. Maybe it
    > would help if Siva gives us the details about the Linux distribution
    > he uses.

    Hi,
    Is your ARM-Linux distribution a vendor provided one (eg: from
    MontaVista) or is it a distribution that you got from the vanilla
    kernel from Kernel.org and configured for your platform ? Just
    curious as I have never worked with ARM linux (I work on PPC and X86).
    As far as Siva's problem goes, yep we need more info on the systems.
    Cheers

  6. Re: mounting the pendrive in the linux pc

    On Feb 29, 3:37 am, Janaka wrote:
    > On Feb 29, 5:20 am, sahasranaman wrote:

    > > > I beg to differ. Kernel 2.6 (if all the options are included correctly
    > > > [eg:USB, SCSI, Mass Storage ...]) will enumerate the USB stick on the
    > > > USB bus and will associate it with a SCSI device such as /dev/sda1.
    > > > First of all make sure that you have such a node on your /dev
    > > > directory. Otherwise you will need to create it using "mknod /dev/sda
    > > > b 8 0".
    > > > Then you can mount this raw device in to another directory node on
    > > > your system using "mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /media/flash" where /media/
    > > > flash is your preferred mount directory.

    > > > Now that is the hard way. Most new distributions (such as Ubuntu)
    > > > have automount tools (such as Udev) that detects device plug in and
    > > > automatically mount these to /media/.... or where ever. Do a Google
    > > > search for automounting USB stick for your distribution.
    > > > And to conserve space, embedded devices usually don't have auto mount
    > > > tools.
    > > > Cheers

    > > Oh. I didn't know that. Thanks Janaka

    > > I use an embedded linux system based on cirrus logic processor EP9302.
    > > It uses ARM-Linux and has automount. When I plug a pen drive on the
    > > board, it gets mounted automatically at /media directory. Maybe it
    > > would help if Siva gives us the details about the Linux distribution
    > > he uses.

    > Hi,
    > Is your ARM-Linux distribution a vendor provided one (eg: from
    > MontaVista) or is it a distribution that you got from the vanilla
    > kernel from Kernel.org and configured for your platform ? Just
    > curious as I have never worked with ARM linux (I work on PPC and X86).
    > As far as Siva's problem goes, yep we need more info on the systems.
    > Cheers

    Dear Janaka,

    The disto I use is provided by Cirrus logic itself. Based on debian
    for ARM I guess. But not exactly sure.

    http://arm.cirrus.com/docs/2.6/
    http://arm.cirrus.com/files/index.php?path=linux/

    And linux was preinstalled on the board I use.
    http://spjsystems.com/sbc9302.htm

    Hope this helps, but I don't have an exact idea about embedded
    distributions yet. I've just started with it, and I have been
    concentrating only on the application part till now.

+ Reply to Thread