USB 2.0 Host controller chip for Linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on USB 2.0 Host controller chip for Linux - Embedded ; Hi, I've been tasked with creating a USB 2.0 interface for a FPGA design running embedded Linux (Windriver) and have found myself mired in a land of endless datasheets and acronyms. What I would like to do in my design ...

  1. USB 2.0 Host controller chip for Linux

    Hi,

    I've been tasked with creating a USB 2.0 interface for a FPGA design
    running embedded Linux (Windriver) and have found myself mired in a
    land of endless datasheets and acronyms.

    What I would like to do in my design is have my FPGA, running Linux,
    interface with a chip that essentially does all the PHY and MAC
    functionality of the USB standard. What I set out to look for were
    chips that would at one end provide USB Phy pins and at the other USB
    EHCI pins (so that I could then write some VHDL to interface with my
    CPU). I could then rely on Linux to provide all of the USB stack, so
    that I didn't need to manually write a device driver myself. (I
    understand that EHCI is some sort of standard driver -> device
    register map, that largely makes device drivers for USB controller
    irrelevant)

    Are these reasonable assumptions?

    So far, the majority of USB chips appear to be either simplified USB
    perpherial chips (essentially a bus slave, without the ability to
    initate a transaction on the bus), Host controller chips, but without
    the EHCI interface (SL811HS), or high-end microcontrollers (Freescale
    MCF5251) with a bunch of stuff that I don't need (and can't interface
    with my FPGA).

    Therefore, can anyone recommend a monolithic chip that I can purchase
    which will provide all of the necessary USB Phy/MAC functionality
    required to interface as a HOST in Linux?

    Kind regards,

    Stephen

  2. Re: USB 2.0 Host controller chip for Linux

    Le Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:58:42 -0800, Steve a écrit:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been tasked with creating a USB 2.0 interface for a FPGA design
    > running embedded Linux (Windriver) and have found myself mired in a
    > land of endless datasheets and acronyms.
    >
    > What I would like to do in my design is have my FPGA, running Linux,
    > interface with a chip that essentially does all the PHY and MAC
    > functionality of the USB standard. What I set out to look for were
    > chips that would at one end provide USB Phy pins and at the other USB
    > EHCI pins (so that I could then write some VHDL to interface with my
    > CPU). I could then rely on Linux to provide all of the USB stack, so
    > that I didn't need to manually write a device driver myself. (I
    > understand that EHCI is some sort of standard driver -> device
    > register map, that largely makes device drivers for USB controller
    > irrelevant)
    >
    > Are these reasonable assumptions?
    >
    > So far, the majority of USB chips appear to be either simplified USB
    > perpherial chips (essentially a bus slave, without the ability to
    > initate a transaction on the bus), Host controller chips, but without
    > the EHCI interface (SL811HS), or high-end microcontrollers (Freescale
    > MCF5251) with a bunch of stuff that I don't need (and can't interface
    > with my FPGA).
    >
    > Therefore, can anyone recommend a monolithic chip that I can purchase
    > which will provide all of the necessary USB Phy/MAC functionality
    > required to interface as a HOST in Linux?

    Sure, ISP1161 (or possibly ISP1181).

    --
    HBV

  3. Re: USB 2.0 Host controller chip for Linux

    If you have a decent FPGA you can have a Linux enabled CPU and the USB
    MAC programmed in there. So you just need a PHY (a USB PHY is a very
    simple chip).

    Is that what you want to accomplish ?

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread