regarding the device drivers - Embedded

This is a discussion on regarding the device drivers - Embedded ; I have some basic questions plz help me out in those. We have all the dirvers in /usr/src/linux/drivers isn't it ? What work do we do in driver deveoplment? We have user and kernel level drivers ,what is the difference ...

  1. regarding the device drivers

    I have some basic questions plz help me out in those.

    We have all the dirvers in /usr/src/linux/drivers isn't it ?

    What work do we do in driver deveoplment?

    We have user and kernel level drivers ,what is the difference between
    them?

    Are data specifications required for writing a driver in linux ?If
    yes
    how /if no why?

    Where do you specify registers values and all related information of
    specifications in the development of the drivers?

    Kindly help me out in these so that I will proceed futher

  2. Re: regarding the device drivers

    siva wrote:
    > We have all the dirvers in /usr/src/linux/drivers isn't it ?

    The most are in the drivers/ subtree, yes.

    > What work do we do in driver deveoplment?

    Adapt every specific hardware to existing frameworks in the kernel, to
    handle all hardware in a generic manner from user's sight (also called
    abstraction).

    > We have user and kernel level drivers ,what is the difference between
    > them?

    Kernel drivers are talking to the hardware and catch interrupts from it.
    User level drivers (mostly) talking to the kernel level driver to do some
    specific action on the hardware. There are many exceptions around. One is
    the X-Server. It talks to the kernel driver to gain access to the hardware
    and after it gains this access do all the action directly on the hardware.

    > Are data specifications required for writing a driver in linux ?If
    > yes how /if no why?

    You need some knowledge about your hardware. And some knowledge how to work
    with the various frameworks in the kernel.

    > Where do you specify registers values and all related information of
    > specifications in the development of the drivers?

    ?

    JB

+ Reply to Thread