embedded programming - Embedded

This is a discussion on embedded programming - Embedded ; Hello group, What takes to change a career from high-level software programming to embedded programming in Linux? It is a while I have started learning Linux and digital design. However, still not sure if I'm on a right track. My ...

  1. embedded programming

    Hello group,

    What takes to change a career from high-level software programming to
    embedded programming in Linux?

    It is a while I have started learning Linux and digital design.
    However, still not sure if I'm on a right track. My goal is to getting
    to a level of programming in Linux to work in embedded field. Would
    you please advise me on this?

    Thanks,
    Amit

  2. Re: embedded programming

    On Oct 29, 5:19 am, Amit wrote:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > What takes to change a career from high-level software programming to
    > embedded programming in Linux?
    >
    > It is a while I have started learning Linux and digital design.
    > However, still not sure if I'm on a right track. My goal is to getting
    > to a level of programming in Linux to work in embedded field. Would
    > you please advise me on this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Amit

    Well decide first what field ... you have three options:
    1. Embedded application programming. (C/C++ .. requires very little or
    no knowledge of hardware. But still very close to the operating
    system. Similar to WIN32 API programming)
    2. Embedded device driver programming. (mostly C ... requires lot of
    hardware and digital knowledge. Though you
    are closer to the hardware and you are far away from high level system
    design.)
    3. Linux kernel programming.

  3. Re: embedded programming

    On Oct 29, 6:10 am, "ksashte...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 5:19 am, Amit wrote:
    >
    > > Hello group,

    > > What takes to change a career from high-level software programming to
    > > embedded programming in Linux?

    > > It is a while I have started learning Linux and digital design.
    > > However, still not sure if I'm on a right track. My goal is to getting
    > > to a level of programming in Linux to work in embedded field. Would
    > > you please advise me on this?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Amit

    > Well decide first what field ... you have three options:
    > 1. Embedded application programming. (C/C++ .. requires very little or
    > no knowledge of hardware. But still very close to the operating
    > system. Similar to WIN32 API programming)
    > 2. Embedded device driver programming. (mostly C ... requires lot of
    > hardware and digital knowledge. Though you
    > are closer to the hardware and you are far away from high level system
    > design.)
    > 3. Linux kernel programming.

    Thanks. any books or online resources?

    Regards,
    Amit

  4. Re: embedded programming

    On Oct 30, 1:17 pm, Amit wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 6:10 am, "ksashte...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 29, 5:19 am, Amit wrote:

    > > > Hello group,

    > > > What takes to change a career from high-level software programming to
    > > > embedded programming in Linux?

    > > > It is a while I have started learning Linux and digital design.
    > > > However, still not sure if I'm on a right track. My goal is to getting
    > > > to a level of programming in Linux to work in embedded field. Would
    > > > you please advise me on this?

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Amit

    > > Well decide first what field ... you have three options:
    > > 1. Embedded application programming. (C/C++ .. requires very little or
    > > no knowledge of hardware. But still very close to the operating
    > > system. Similar to WIN32 API programming)
    > > 2. Embedded device driver programming. (mostly C ... requires lot of
    > > hardware and digital knowledge. Though you
    > > are closer to the hardware and you are far away from high level system
    > > design.)
    > > 3. Linux kernel programming.

    > Thanks. any books or online resources?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Amit

    What is your professional background?
    What platform/language are you working on currently?

    - Kaustubh

+ Reply to Thread