Wouter Wijngaards wrote:

> Issue [4.1]
> DNAMEs can be used as indirections, the goal of these indirections is
> to mirror a part of the DNS domain tree in another part of the DNS
> domain tree. This mirroring should be easy. Alternative wording is
> that the goal is to have an alias name for a part of the domain tree.
> Running example is x DNAME y. The extra point here is that the
> mirroring is done at exactly a delegation point. There is a use for
> this case.
>
> Can, should, must DNAME be used as a delegation tool? And how is this
> possible according to protocol?

To avoid terminology pollution/erosion, I'd rather not re-define the term
'delegation' here. Delegation is tightly bound to making a zone cut and
separating out control over a well defined part of the name space to
a third (not necessarily) party. Delegations are something that (should)
happen transparently to the user.

So, as an approximation, 'registration tool' might be a better term.
Instead of a delegation, a registry (or anyone in a similar role) could
"alias" a subdomain (not zone!) into a different part of the name space.
I've seen this in the ENUM universe, but Niall may have more detail about this.

OTOH, this is a purely operational matter, so I'm not sure the DNAME
clarifications/update document has anything to say here except what appears
in issue 4.2, i.e., the owner is not covered by the DNAME.

-Peter

archive: