People,

I've trawled RFC 1034, 1035 and 2181, yet I can't find it written down on
what a recursing nameserver should do on receiving an ANY query (aka
QTYPE=*).

http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/...html/aid/30221 lists nonsense I
think - step 4 of the algorithm is never reached if RD is turned on.

'Mr DNS' (why I think was Cricket), said in 1997:

Actually, a T_ANY lookup isn't guaranteed to return the TXT records,
unless you're querying the authoritative name server directly. On another
name server, T_ANY will only return whatever the server already knows
about the domain name.

I'd love to believe this but it doesn't sound all too useful to me, but it
sure makes coding simple.

Anybody have an authoritative (haha) reference?

Thanks.

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl Open and Closed source services