As some of you are aware of I asked an IRTF group on cryptograph CFRG
some questions on use of ECC in DNSSEC. This is done to identify any
potential research issues related to possible use of ECC in DNSSEC.
Any output from CFRG (or other forums) will be fed into DNSEXT before
any standards actions.

The two reason I'm exploring ECC are the size issue, and to have an
better answer next time someone ask why are you not using ECC.

The DNSEXT working group has been considering for some time to add support
for ECC. Any deployment of ECC will be gradual, there are no plans to
retire RSA.
It is possible that ECC might replace DSA as mandatory to implement.
Currently ECC is a minefield of IPR claims, FUD etc.
This requires careful consideration of ECC and different curves before
the DNSEXT working group can proceed.

Any zone can sign with any supported algorithm, using a algorithm that
is not as widely supported as RSA has the risk that a zone appears
unsigned to some resolvers. For background on this issue look at
RFC3090, issues locally and globally secure.

To answer your quotes from below, following is=20
perfectly valid from the protocol point.
. signed by RSA/SHA256
COM signed by RSA/SHA1
EXAMPLE.com signed by DSA
child.example.com signed by RSA/MD5
grandchild.example.com signed by DSA

But for a validator the trust chain is broken when it is faced with the
first algorithm it does not understand/support.=20
As some Validator's have removed
support for RSA/MD5 that zone risks becoming=20
viewed as insecure, and its children
are treated insecure because of the parent.

Olafur

archive: