Thank you for your reply.

The purpose of this question is to want to avoid the confusion of the
meaning of the word "client" and "resolver".

RFC2308 that you wrote doesn't use the word "client".
The word "resolver" is clearly used instead of "client".

I personally thought that the word "resolver" include "Recursion server" and "Client", and the word "cleint" is just simple client.

Can I think that "Clinet" and "Resolver" are the same meanings in RFC?

Best Regards,

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:18:53 +1100
Mark Andrews wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a question regarding the word "client" in RFC2181.
> >
> > For example, section 5.2 says,
> >
> > -------------------
> > Should a client receive a response containing RRs from an RRSet with
> > differing TTLs, it should treat this as an error. If the RRSet
> > concerned is from a non-authoritative source for this data, the
> > client should simply ignore the RRSet, and if the values were
> > required, seek to acquire them from an authoritative source. Clients
> > that are configured to send all queries to one, or more, particular
> > servers should treat those servers as authoritative for this purpose.
> > Should an authoritative source send such a malformed RRSet, the
> > client should treat the RRs for all purposes as if all TTLs in the
> > RRSet had been set to the value of the lowest TTL in the RRSet. In
> > no case may a server send an RRSet with TTLs not all equal.
> > -------------------
> >
> > In this paragraph, the word "clinet" appears four times.
> > Does all of these "client" mean just only client(simple resolver client)?
> > Or, does these "cleint" mean include the server acting as client for the purp
> > oses of recursive query resolution?

> It also means the resolver in the nameserver.
>
> RRset with differing TTLs was a common indication that the
> answer had come from a nameserver that had merged RRsets
> or had got a answer from another nameserver that had merged
> RRsets.
>
> > I think that this word "client" is unclear.

> The DNS is a client / server protocol. A recursive server
> has a client component that iterates.
>
> > There is a similar problem also in section 9.
> > ------------------
> >
> > Where TC is set, the partial RRSet that would not completely fit may
> > be left in the response. When a DNS client receives a reply with TC
> > set, it should ignore that response, and query again, using a
> > mechanism, such as a TCP connection, that will permit larger replies.
> > ------------------
> >
> > What do you think?

> Again this is clear. If you ask a question over UDP and
> get TC in the response you need to re-ask the question using
> TCP. The problem then becomes what do you do when you get
> TC over TCP?
>
> Mark
>
> > Best Regards,
> > --