On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 08:09:35PM -0500, Thierry Moreau wrote:

> Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >The problem is that the IPGP (and ISPKI, IPKIX and IACPKIX too, for
> >that matter) URL value is not strongly bound to its content.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >The solution is to somehow embed, within the I* types, a hash of the
> >content.
> >

> Well, the flexibility of URLs allows this (as identified in your
> solution 4). Why would you look any further, since the URL scheme is
> flexible enough and does not require any distraction in the 2538bis
> adoption process?

I don't think that this is a good solution. The current ability to
point to any URL is good and flexible. If the hash is embedded in the
URL in some way, a method of embedding will have to be specified for
each URL scheme. It essentially only allows CERT I* types to be used
with very specific URL schemes that have been specified, which strikes
me as fairly limiting.

David

archive: