Serving zones in ip6.arpa - DNS

This is a discussion on Serving zones in ip6.arpa - DNS ; I have noticed there are quite a few zones at the /32 level which do not have any v6-enabled servers (for example: 8.d.6.1.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.). Is there any merit in this?...

  1. Serving zones in ip6.arpa

    I have noticed there are quite a few zones at the /32 level which do not
    have any v6-enabled servers (for example: 8.d.6.1.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.). Is
    there any merit in this?

  2. Re: Serving zones in ip6.arpa

    "Chris Hills" wrote in message
    > I have noticed there are quite a few zones at the /32 level which do not
    > have any v6-enabled servers (for example: 8.d.6.1.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.). Is
    > there any merit in this?

    No. It's a sign of lazy administration. I've found that there are many
    such zones where IPv6 is actually in use but no reverse zone.

    There are a few zones which have been allocated but not deployed. Note the
    allocation dates. Recent allocations (past 3 months) may be waiting for a
    network plan or upgraded hardware.

    My co-location provider only sought a /32 allocation this year (2008) and
    got it assigned in March. Only last month did they deploy anything - and
    what was deployed was my server, the zone's only IPv6 sub-allocation (and I
    was the only customer who was asking for native IPv6). That was 2 weeks ago
    (and prior to that, I was using an IPv6 tunnel broker). The facility's name
    servers will serve the IPv6 reverse zone, but only over IPv4 as they haven't
    yet assigned IPv6 addresses to them. They've allocated a subnet for them,
    but have to recompile the software to add the IPv6 stack support.

    I am in North America. The IPv6 buildout in Europe and Asia is more
    advanced.

    In contrast, Cogent Communications (as an example) received their IPv6
    allocation in 2003 and has yet to deploy.

  3. Re: Serving zones in ip6.arpa

+ Reply to Thread