RE: SPF record - DNS

This is a discussion on RE: SPF record - DNS ; On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Faehl, Chris wrote: > I believe this topic is rapidly in danger of becoming off-topic - but SPF and DomainKeys/ DKIM both indeed do say that "spammer is authorized to spam from that domain" - ...

  1. RE: SPF record

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Faehl, Chris wrote:

    > I believe this topic is rapidly in danger of becoming off-topic - but SPF and DomainKeys/ DKIM both indeed do say that "spammer is authorized to spam from that domain" - at which point, reputation services can be employed to (more) accurately characterize the types of email being delivered from that domain. Both email authentication technologies have their best effect against (as mentioned many times now) forged email, and won't do much to stem spam "legitimately" originating from the big free email providers.

    You might want to look at your client Chris, you are not wrapping.
    SPF is a DNS topic as well as SMTP, I think its safe to assume this is
    on topic, so long we w don't drift too far.

    > Adoption rate of both SPF and DomainKeys/DKIM is not encouraging

    The problem is likely that most hosting companies do not have it as an
    option in their setup scripts, and most people are oblivious and wont
    add an entry even in the TXT field, thats even if that is made
    available to them, which in most cases it also is not.

    DKIM is like SenderID in that they are both seriously problematic with
    mailing lists, where as SPF is not, which is one reason why I wont be
    doing any DKIM testing on our MTA's, its the reason I dumped SenderID
    checking, now everyones happy

    --
    Res

    If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem!

  2. Re: SPF record

    "Res" wrote in message news:geokdr$2q93$1@sf1.isc.org...
    > On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Faehl, Chris wrote:
    > DKIM is like SenderID in that they are both seriously problematic with
    > mailing lists, where as SPF is not, which is one reason why I wont be
    > doing any DKIM testing on our MTA's, its the reason I dumped SenderID
    > checking, now everyones happy

    Why is domainkeys problematic with mailing lists? Any mailing list should
    validate the poster and when redistributing, regenerate (or remove) the
    signature. There is no problem. Remember that the signature is to cover
    deliver TO the list and not beyond.

+ Reply to Thread