Re: About error/warning found on the server - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: About error/warning found on the server - DNS ; --- Robert Spangler wrote: > On Friday 31 October 2008 15:47, Barry Margolin wrote: > > > > > > MX > > > > > 1) > > > > > MX CNAME Check > > > > > ...

  1. Re: About error/warning found on the server

    --- Robert Spangler wrote:

    > not ok

    > on the

    > that point
    > > >
    > > > I suppose making change on Registrar's website. What shall I

    > replace
    > > > "where"? OR just retain it exactly as

    > smtp.where.secureserver.net
    > >
    > > You need to make the change on the web site of the provider that

    > hosts
    > > your DNS. Registrars are used to register domains, they don't
    > > necesarily operate the DNS (although some may do both, and perhaps
    > > that's the case for you). Basically, go to whatever site you

    > normally
    > > use to make changes to the contents of your domain.
    > >
    > > "smtp.where.secureserver.net" is the actual name you need to put

    > in your
    > > MX record.

    > A quick whois lookup shows that you used GoDaddy to register.
    > GoDaddy sets up bogus MX records and you can remove them.
    >
    > [GoDaddy......]
    > 10 xen02.satimis.com 220.232.213.178
    > 20 smtp.secureserver.net -> CNAME(s) -> 64.202.166.12 (no glue)
    > 30 mailstore1.secureserver.net 64.202.166.11 (no glue)
    > [......GoDaddy]
    >
    > You can remove any MX record that you do not accept mail through.

    Hi Robert,

    Thanks for your advice.

    This domain 'satimis.com' is for test purpose.

    xen02.satimis.com is server name under testing. xen02, the 1st part of
    the hostname, will be changed on testing another server.

    smtp.secureserver.net is Godaddy server which I use it to receive mails
    if the server under testing is not working or down. There is only one
    user. All incoming mails will then be redirected to Godaddy server. I
    can read the mails on Godaddy website.

    I set the priority;
    10 xen02.satimis.com
    20 smtp.secureserver.net

    for this purpose. All incoming mails will first arrive
    "xen02.satimis.com". If not available then they will be delivered to
    "smtp.secureserver.net"

    I have no idea of "mailstore1.secureserver.net". Would it be the high
    priority MX for filtering spam? "smtp.secureserver.net" the low
    priority MX record?

    TIA

    B.R.
    Stephen L

  2. Re: About error/warning found on the server

    In article , Stephen Liu
    wrote:
    > xen02.satimis.com is server name under testing. xen02, the 1st part of
    > the hostname, will be changed on testing another server.
    >

    > smtp.secureserver.net is Godaddy server which I use it to receive mails
    > if the server under testing is not working or down. There is only one
    > user. All incoming mails will then be redirected to Godaddy server. I
    > can read the mails on Godaddy website.
    >

    > I set the priority;
    > 10 xen02.satimis.com
    > 20 smtp.secureserver.net
    >
    > for this purpose. All incoming mails will first arrive
    > "xen02.satimis.com". If not available then they will be delivered to
    > "smtp.secureserver.net"
    >

    > I have no idea of "mailstore1.secureserver.net". Would it be the high
    > priority MX for filtering spam? "smtp.secureserver.net" the low
    > priority MX record?

    No, it's lower priority than smtp.secureserver.net. So if both
    xen02.satimis.com and smtp.secureserver.net are down, the mail will go
    to mailstore1.secureserver.net.

    You REALLY need to get that book on DNS, since you apparently don't know
    the basic concepts.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA