Re: About error/warning found on the server - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: About error/warning found on the server - DNS ; --- Barry Margolin wrote: > In article , Stephen Liu > > wrote: > > > Hi folks, > > > > > > I have checked the DNS server on; > > > > http://www.intodns.com > > > > ...

  1. Re: About error/warning found on the server

    --- Barry Margolin wrote:

    > In article , Stephen Liu
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks,
    > >

    > > I have checked the DNS server on;
    > >
    > > http://www.intodns.com
    > >

    > > and found following warning/error ;
    > >
    > > (remark: postfix installed but NOT configured yet)

    > It would help if you told us what domain you're checking.

    Thanks Barry. domain checked = satimis.com

    > > NS
    > > 2)
    > > (i) - Glue for NS records
    > > INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS
    > > records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A
    > > record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS

    > records.
    > > The nameservers without glue are:
    > > 208.109.255.22
    > > 216.69.185.22
    > > You can fix this for example by adding A records to your

    > nameservers
    > > for the zones listed above.
    > >

    > > On which file? Thanks.

    > Unless you host the domaincontrol.com domain you don't need to do
    > anything.

    Noted with thanks.

    > > SOA
    > > (i) - SOA record
    > > The SOA record is:
    > > Primary nameserver: ns43.domaincontrol.com
    > > Hostmaster E-mail address: dns.jomax.net
    > > Serial #: 2007111300
    > > Refresh: 28800
    > > Retry: 7200
    > > Expire: 604800 1 weeks
    > > Default TTL: 86400
    > >

    > > How to renew it?

    > Renew what? This is an SOA record, nothing to do with registration.

    Noted and thanks.

    > > MX
    > > 1)
    > > MX CNAME Check
    > > WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:
    > > smtp.secureserver.net
    > > The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok

    > per
    > > the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
    > >

    > > How to get this problem fixed? On Registrar's website? OR on the
    > > server, which file?

    > In the zone file on the nameserver. Change any MX records that point
    > smtp.secureserver.net to point to smtp.where.secureserver.net.

    I suppose making change on Registrar's website. What shall I replace
    "where"? OR just retain it exactly as smtp.where.secureserver.net

    TIA

    > > 2)
    > > MX A request returns CNAME
    > > WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX
    > > records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and

    > RFC2181
    > > 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:
    > > mailstore1.secureserver.net points to

    > ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
    > > smtp.secureserver.net points to ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
    > > This can cause problems
    > >

    > > Do I need take any action on it? If YES then how? TIA

    > I'm not sure why it's complaining about mailstore1.secureserver.net.
    >
    > It's an A record, not a CNAME record.

    Noted.

    > > 3)
    > > Reverse MX A records (PTR)
    > > ERROR: No reverse DNS (PTR) entries. The problem MX records are:
    > > 178.213.232.220.in-addr.arpa -> no reverse (PTR) detected
    > > You should contact your ISP and ask him to add a PTR record for

    > your
    > > ips
    > >

    > > What is PTR record for ips? Before asking IPS to take action

    > anything
    > > can I do on the server. TIA

    > PTR records are used to translate IPs back to names. This is
    > commonly
    > called "reverse DNS" (because translating names to addresses is the
    > more
    > normal, "forward" direction).
    >
    > You don't really need reverse DNS for your MX records, but you do
    > need
    > it for your outgoing mail server. The above error message assumes
    > you
    > use the same machine for both incoming and outgoing mail.

    Yes, on the same server.

    > There's nothing you can do on your server. You need your ISP to add
    > the
    > PTR record, or delegate the reverse DNS to your nameservers,

    Please explain in more detail. What reverse DNS I shall use? I don't
    use ISP DNS servers with /etc/resolv.conf removed already. What did
    you meant "to your nameservers"? TIA

    B.R.
    Stephen L

    > and then
    >
    > you need to add the reverse zone to your nameservers. This will
    > probably also require implementation of RFC 2317-style delegation.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

  2. Re: About error/warning found on the server

    In article , Stephen Liu
    wrote:

    > --- Barry Margolin wrote:
    >
    > > In article , Stephen Liu
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi folks,
    > > >

    > > > I have checked the DNS server on;
    > > >
    > > > http://www.intodns.com
    > > >

    > > > and found following warning/error ;
    > > >
    > > > (remark: postfix installed but NOT configured yet)

    > > It would help if you told us what domain you're checking.

    > Thanks Barry. domain checked = satimis.com
    >

    > > > NS
    > > > 2)
    > > > (i) - Glue for NS records
    > > > INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS
    > > > records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A
    > > > record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS

    > > records.
    > > > The nameservers without glue are:
    > > > 208.109.255.22
    > > > 216.69.185.22
    > > > You can fix this for example by adding A records to your

    > > nameservers
    > > > for the zones listed above.
    > > >

    > > > On which file? Thanks.

    > > Unless you host the domaincontrol.com domain you don't need to do
    > > anything.

    > Noted with thanks.

    There's actually nothing wrong in this case. The domaincontrol.com
    servers that host your domain are not the same servers as the ones that
    host domaincontrol.com itself, so they don't know the IPs of the
    nameservers.

    > > > MX
    > > > 1)
    > > > MX CNAME Check
    > > > WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:
    > > > smtp.secureserver.net
    > > > The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok

    > > per
    > > > the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
    > > >

    > > > How to get this problem fixed? On Registrar's website? OR on the
    > > > server, which file?

    > > In the zone file on the nameserver. Change any MX records that point
    > > smtp.secureserver.net to point to smtp.where.secureserver.net.

    > I suppose making change on Registrar's website. What shall I replace
    > "where"? OR just retain it exactly as smtp.where.secureserver.net

    You need to make the change on the web site of the provider that hosts
    your DNS. Registrars are used to register domains, they don't
    necesarily operate the DNS (although some may do both, and perhaps
    that's the case for you). Basically, go to whatever site you normally
    use to make changes to the contents of your domain.

    "smtp.where.secureserver.net" is the actual name you need to put in your
    MX record.

    > > There's nothing you can do on your server. You need your ISP to add
    > > the
    > > PTR record, or delegate the reverse DNS to your nameservers,

    > Please explain in more detail. What reverse DNS I shall use? I don't
    > use ISP DNS servers with /etc/resolv.conf removed already. What did
    > you meant "to your nameservers"? TIA

    This has nothing to do with resolv.conf, that's only used when you do
    lookups. The problem is that no one out on the Internet can translate
    your mailserver's IP back to a name. Many SMTP servers will refuse to
    accept mail from a server like this, because it's more likely to be a
    spammer than a server operated by someone who knows what they're doing
    (and based on the kind of questions you're asking, you don't really know
    what you're doing).

    The simplest thing would be for your ISP to add the record:

    178.213.232.220.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR xen02.satimis.com.

    to their DNS. If they won't do this, you need to get them to delegate a
    reverse domain to your DNS provider's nameservers, and then they would
    add the PTR record there. It will look a little different, because of
    the trick necessary for delegating a block smaller than /24; the ISP
    should be able to provide the precise syntax that they use.

    I expect you're still very confused, and I don't think I can solve that.
    You need to get the book "DNS & BIND", which explains all these concepts
    in detail.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: About error/warning found on the server

    On Friday 31 October 2008 15:47, Barry Margolin wrote:

    > > > In the zone file on the nameserver. Change any MX records that point
    > > > smtp.secureserver.net to point to smtp.where.secureserver.net.

    > > I suppose making change on Registrar's website. What shall I replace
    > > "where"? OR just retain it exactly as smtp.where.secureserver.net

    > You need to make the change on the web site of the provider that hosts
    > your DNS. Registrars are used to register domains, they don't
    > necesarily operate the DNS (although some may do both, and perhaps
    > that's the case for you). Basically, go to whatever site you normally
    > use to make changes to the contents of your domain.
    >
    > "smtp.where.secureserver.net" is the actual name you need to put in your
    > MX record.

    A quick whois lookup shows that you used GoDaddy to register.
    GoDaddy sets up bogus MX records and you can remove them.

    [GoDaddy......]
    10 xen02.satimis.com 220.232.213.178
    20 smtp.secureserver.net -> CNAME(s) -> 64.202.166.12 (no glue)
    30 mailstore1.secureserver.net 64.202.166.11 (no glue)
    [......GoDaddy]

    You can remove any MX record that you do not accept mail through.

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    It is not just an adventure.