Re: confused about ORIGIN and also named-checkzone - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: confused about ORIGIN and also named-checkzone - DNS ; I think I understand. Origin set a base for entries that are unqualified and do not have a trailing dot. So my new zone is valid and just being organized in a highly granular way. Any additional comments to help ...

  1. Re: confused about ORIGIN and also named-checkzone

    I think I understand. Origin set a base for entries that are
    unqualified and do not have a trailing dot.

    So my new zone is valid and just being organized in a highly granular
    way.

    Any additional comments to help me learn more about this are much
    appreciated.

    --
    Scott
    Iphone says hello.

    On Oct 30, 2008, at 6:36 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

    > I moved a server to using named and manage it in the shell, I used to
    > use a desktop app that did it for me.
    >
    > In the process, when I edit a zone, I will push it throug the below
    > command, to clean it up, and then I delete the first line, and last
    > line in the output of the zone, and reload rndc
    >
    > named-checkzone -D -s relative example.com example.com-hosts
    >
    > It adds in $ORIGIN lines, which I am not sure entirely what they are
    > for, at least, not in the way it is adding them in. Here is an
    > example zone, that works now
    >
    > $TTL 86400
    > @ 86400 IN SOA ns1.my-company.com. scott.my-
    > company.com. 2008033103 28800 7200 604800 7200
    > @ IN NS ns1.my-company.com.
    > captain.rustall.com IN A 127.0.0.2 ;Whitelist
    > for winnow
    > lists.mysql.com IN A
    > 127.0.0.2 ;lists.mysql.com
    > 12.153.224.55 IN A 127.0.0.2 ;Etrade.com
    > messaging.nextel.com IN A
    > 127.0.0.2 ;messaging.nextel.com
    > moveon.org IN A 127.0.0.2
    > gmail.com IN A 127.0.0.2
    > dotster.com IN A 127.0.0.2
    > ebay.com IN A 127.0.0.2
    > stmproducts.com IN A
    > 127.0.0.2 ;stmproducts.com is on dynamic
    > returns.groups.yahoo.com IN A 127.0.0.2 ;yahoo groups
    > chopra.com IN A 127.0.0.2 ;they hit a
    > spamtrap
    > barebones.com IN A 127.0.0.2
    > 202.128.20.175 IN A
    > 127.0.0.2 ;endtimeprophecy.org - Wordweaver
    >
    > After I run it through named-checkzone with -D and -s, relative, I get
    > the below output, which does not make sense. If $ORIGIN sets a base
    > of all below it, then it seems wrong to me...
    >
    > $ORIGIN .
    > $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    > wl.my-company IN SOA ns1.my-company.com. scott.my-
    > company.com. (
    > 2008103000 ; serial
    > 28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    > 7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    > 604800 ; expire (1 week)
    > 7200 ; minimum (2 hours)
    > )
    > NS ns1.my-company.com.
    > NS ns1.nacio.com.
    >
    > $ORIGIN wl.my-company.com.
    > 202.128.20.175 A 127.0.0.2
    > 12.153.224.55 A 127.0.0.2
    >
    > $ORIGIN com.wl.my-company.com.
    > barebones A 127.0.0.2
    > chopra A 127.0.0.2
    > constantcontact A 127.0.0.2
    > dotster A 127.0.0.2
    > ebay A 127.0.0.2
    > gmail A 127.0.0.2
    > lists.mysql A 127.0.0.2
    > messaging.nextel A 127.0.0.2
    > captain.rustall A 127.0.0.2
    > stmproducts A 127.0.0.2
    > returns.groups.yahoo A 127.0.0.2
    > $ORIGIN wl.my-company.com.
    > moveon.org A 127.0.0.2
    >
    > I hope I am reading this wrong, or I just fubar'd a whole bunch of
    > zones
    > Thanks for any guidance
    > --
    > Scott

  2. Re: confused about ORIGIN and also named-checkzone

    In article ,
    Scott Haneda wrote:

    > I think I understand. Origin set a base for entries that are
    > unqualified and do not have a trailing dot.
    >
    > So my new zone is valid and just being organized in a highly granular
    > way.
    >
    > Any additional comments to help me learn more about this are much
    > appreciated.

    I should correct what I said before. It doesn't force everything to
    have a single component name. What it does is look for cases where the
    same suffix is used by more than one name, and it then produces a
    $ORIGIN directive with that suffix.

    This is why it still output a line for "lists.mysql". There's no other
    line that defines XXX.mysql.com.wl.my-company.com, so it doesn't bother
    with "$ORIGIN mysql.com.wl.my-company.com.".

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA