About error/warning found on the server - DNS

This is a discussion on About error/warning found on the server - DNS ; Hi folks, I have checked the DNS server on; http://www.intodns.com and found following warning/error ; (remark: postfix installed but NOT configured yet) NS 2) (i) - Glue for NS records INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers ...

  1. About error/warning found on the server

    Hi folks,

    I have checked the DNS server on;

    http://www.intodns.com

    and found following warning/error ;

    (remark: postfix installed but NOT configured yet)

    NS
    2)
    (i) - Glue for NS records
    INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS
    records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A
    record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records.
    The nameservers without glue are:
    208.109.255.22
    216.69.185.22
    You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers
    for the zones listed above.

    On which file? Thanks.

    SOA
    (i) - SOA record
    The SOA record is:
    Primary nameserver: ns43.domaincontrol.com
    Hostmaster E-mail address: dns.jomax.net
    Serial #: 2007111300
    Refresh: 28800
    Retry: 7200
    Expire: 604800 1 weeks
    Default TTL: 86400

    How to renew it?

    MX
    1)
    MX CNAME Check
    WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:
    smtp.secureserver.net
    The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok per
    the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!

    How to get this problem fixed? On Registrar's website? OR on the
    server, which file?

    2)
    MX A request returns CNAME
    WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX
    records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181
    10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:
    mailstore1.secureserver.net points to ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
    smtp.secureserver.net points to ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
    This can cause problems

    Do I need take any action on it? If YES then how? TIA

    3)
    Reverse MX A records (PTR)
    ERROR: No reverse DNS (PTR) entries. The problem MX records are:
    178.213.232.220.in-addr.arpa -> no reverse (PTR) detected
    You should contact your ISP and ask him to add a PTR record for your
    ips

    What is PTR record for ips? Before asking IPS to take action anything
    can I do on the server. TIA

    B.R.
    Stephen

  2. Re: About error/warning found on the server

    In article , Stephen Liu
    wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >

    > I have checked the DNS server on;
    >
    > http://www.intodns.com
    >

    > and found following warning/error ;
    >
    > (remark: postfix installed but NOT configured yet)

    It would help if you told us what domain you're checking.

    > NS
    > 2)
    > (i) - Glue for NS records
    > INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS
    > records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A
    > record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records.
    > The nameservers without glue are:
    > 208.109.255.22
    > 216.69.185.22
    > You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers
    > for the zones listed above.
    >

    > On which file? Thanks.

    Unless you host the domaincontrol.com domain you don't need to do
    anything.

    > SOA
    > (i) - SOA record
    > The SOA record is:
    > Primary nameserver: ns43.domaincontrol.com
    > Hostmaster E-mail address: dns.jomax.net
    > Serial #: 2007111300
    > Refresh: 28800
    > Retry: 7200
    > Expire: 604800 1 weeks
    > Default TTL: 86400
    >

    > How to renew it?

    Renew what? This is an SOA record, nothing to do with registration.

    > MX
    > 1)
    > MX CNAME Check
    > WARNING: CNAME was returned for the following MX records:
    > smtp.secureserver.net
    > The CNAME(s) that were returned are listed above. This is not ok per
    > the RFCs and can cause problems including mail being lost!
    >

    > How to get this problem fixed? On Registrar's website? OR on the
    > server, which file?

    In the zone file on the nameserver. Change any MX records that point to
    smtp.secureserver.net to point to smtp.where.secureserver.net.

    > 2)
    > MX A request returns CNAME
    > WARNING: MX records points to a CNAME. CNAMEs are not allowed in MX
    > records, according to RFC974, RFC1034 3.6.2, RFC1912 2.4, and RFC2181
    > 10.3. The problem MX record(s) are:
    > mailstore1.secureserver.net points to ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
    > smtp.secureserver.net points to ['smtp.where.secureserver.net']
    > This can cause problems
    >

    > Do I need take any action on it? If YES then how? TIA

    I'm not sure why it's complaining about mailstore1.secureserver.net.
    It's an A record, not a CNAME record.

    > 3)
    > Reverse MX A records (PTR)
    > ERROR: No reverse DNS (PTR) entries. The problem MX records are:
    > 178.213.232.220.in-addr.arpa -> no reverse (PTR) detected
    > You should contact your ISP and ask him to add a PTR record for your
    > ips
    >

    > What is PTR record for ips? Before asking IPS to take action anything
    > can I do on the server. TIA

    PTR records are used to translate IPs back to names. This is commonly
    called "reverse DNS" (because translating names to addresses is the more
    normal, "forward" direction).

    You don't really need reverse DNS for your MX records, but you do need
    it for your outgoing mail server. The above error message assumes you
    use the same machine for both incoming and outgoing mail.

    There's nothing you can do on your server. You need your ISP to add the
    PTR record, or delegate the reverse DNS to your nameservers, and then
    you need to add the reverse zone to your nameservers. This will
    probably also require implementation of RFC 2317-style delegation.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA