I'm talking about my in-house authoritative zones only.
Parsing the files will not work in some cases when there are entries in the
journal file via dynamic update.

I can programatically freeze/unfreeze the zone but thats an awkward heavy
handed solution.
I believe dig or nslookup should provide this functionality.