Re: bind and outgoing mail relay - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: bind and outgoing mail relay - DNS ; Justin T Pryzby wrote: > I wonder if there's any way of using our local recursive server for > forcing all locally-originating mail to go through a given mail hub. > I suspect not? > > If all of your ...

  1. Re: bind and outgoing mail relay

    Justin T Pryzby wrote:
    > I wonder if there's any way of using our local recursive server for
    > forcing all locally-originating mail to go through a given mail hub.
    > I suspect not?

    If all of your mail clients use MX records for routing mail, and if you
    have an internal-root architecture with no direct Internet resolvability
    (i.e. all Internet access is through application-level gateways), then
    you can do this with wildcards in your internal root zone.

    - Kevin

  2. Re: bind and outgoing mail relay

    In article , Kevin Darcy
    wrote:

    > Justin T Pryzby wrote:
    > > I wonder if there's any way of using our local recursive server for
    > > forcing all locally-originating mail to go through a given mail hub.
    > > I suspect not?
    > >

    > If all of your mail clients use MX records for routing mail, and if you
    > have an internal-root architecture with no direct Internet resolvability
    > (i.e. all Internet access is through application-level gateways), then
    > you can do this with wildcards in your internal root zone.

    This won't work if he wants his internal users to be able to access
    Internet web sites.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: bind and outgoing mail relay

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article , Kevin Darcy
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Justin T Pryzby wrote:
    >>
    >>> I wonder if there's any way of using our local recursive server for
    >>> forcing all locally-originating mail to go through a given mail hub.
    >>> I suspect not?
    >>>

    >> If all of your mail clients use MX records for routing mail, and if you
    >> have an internal-root architecture with no direct Internet resolvability
    >> (i.e. all Internet access is through application-level gateways), then
    >> you can do this with wildcards in your internal root zone.
    >>

    > This won't work if he wants his internal users to be able to access
    > Internet web sites.

    "all Internet access is through application-level gateways" = web proxy too

    - Kevin

+ Reply to Thread