DNS "chicken-and-egg" Problem - DNS

This is a discussion on DNS "chicken-and-egg" Problem - DNS ; I am having problems resolving igpp.ucla.edu When I start a query at the root servers, I eventually get a referral to the four name servers for ucla.edu. When I query each of those name servers, I get ; (1 server ...

  1. DNS "chicken-and-egg" Problem

    I am having problems resolving

    igpp.ucla.edu

    When I start a query at the root servers, I eventually get a referral
    to the four name servers for ucla.edu. When I query each of those
    name servers, I get

    ; (1 server found)
    ;; got answer:
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
    ;; QUERY SECTION:
    ;; igpp.ucla.edu, type = A, class = IN

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    igpp.ucla.edu. 6H IN NS igpp.ucla.edu.

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    igpp.ucla.edu. 6H IN A 128.97.94.1

    This looks like a proper referral to the one name server for the igpp
    sub-domain. I also get the "A" record for that name server.
    But when I dump the cache on the nameserver on which I was doing my
    queries, I do not see this glue information cached. If the information
    is not in the cache, then when I do a query for the "A" record, I find
    that I need that "A" record to be able to query the authoritative
    name server for that sub-domain. There seems to be a "chicken-and-egg"
    problem. Why does BIND 9.5.0-P2 not cache the glue information that
    it receives from the four authoritative name servers for ucla.edu?
    Thanks.
    Barry S. Finkel
    Argonne National Laboratory Phone: +1 (630) 252-7277
    9700 South Cass Avenue Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-4601
    Building 222, Room D209 Internet: BSFinkel@anl.gov
    Argonne, IL 60439-4828 IBMMAIL: I1004994

  2. Re: DNS "chicken-and-egg" Problem

    wrote in message news:ge4n91$15oj$1@sf1.isc.org...
    > I am having problems resolving
    >
    > igpp.ucla.edu
    >
    > When I start a query at the root servers, I eventually get a referral
    > to the four name servers for ucla.edu. When I query each of those
    > name servers, I get
    >
    > ; (1 server found)
    > ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
    > ;; got answer:
    > ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
    > ;; QUERY SECTION:
    > ;; igpp.ucla.edu, type = A, class = IN
    >
    > ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    > igpp.ucla.edu. 6H IN NS igpp.ucla.edu.
    >
    > ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    > igpp.ucla.edu. 6H IN A 128.97.94.1
    >
    > This looks like a proper referral to the one name server for the igpp
    > sub-domain. I also get the "A" record for that name server.
    > But when I dump the cache on the nameserver on which I was doing my
    > queries, I do not see this glue information cached. If the information
    > is not in the cache, then when I do a query for the "A" record, I find
    > that I need that "A" record to be able to query the authoritative
    > name server for that sub-domain. There seems to be a "chicken-and-egg"
    > problem. Why does BIND 9.5.0-P2 not cache the glue information that
    > it receives from the four authoritative name servers for ucla.edu?
    > Thanks.

    Because the GLUE record in the additional section is not authoritative. I
    seem to recall that in the options section, there may exist a directive to
    override that. However, I leave it to you to read the manual and find it.

+ Reply to Thread