Authority gone from slaves - DNS

This is a discussion on Authority gone from slaves - DNS ; I had my slave server giving out authoritive request and two days ago they stopped and I think I know why but wanted confirmation. Two days ago we had an issue with one of our client whose zone we moved ...

  1. Authority gone from slaves

    I had my slave server giving out authoritive request and two days ago
    they stopped and I think I know why but wanted confirmation. Two days
    ago we had an issue with one of our client whose zone we moved over form
    the dns hosting company we have been using. Their web servers are
    located at a third party web hosting site and they make a call on one of
    their pages to our API hosted in our web server farm. Our web servers
    domain are still currently hosted at the dns hosted company so when
    calling the API and trying to resolve the images on our servers they
    could not because it was trying to make a recursive call to the domain
    we did not transfer to us yet. To fix this I enabled recursive on the
    slaves until we complete the migration of all the zones to our server
    over the next two weeks.

    Did enabling recursive on the slave make they so that they can not been
    seen as authoritive of any zones they host? Again the slaves were
    responding as Authoritive for the zones they hosted until I enabled
    recursive on them.

    Hope I did not confuse anyone to much and can provide a diagram if
    needed to clarify exactly what things looks like.

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. Re: Authority gone from slaves

    In article , Steve Koon
    wrote:

    > I had my slave server giving out authoritive request and two days ago
    > they stopped and I think I know why but wanted confirmation. Two days
    > ago we had an issue with one of our client whose zone we moved over form
    > the dns hosting company we have been using. Their web servers are
    > located at a third party web hosting site and they make a call on one of
    > their pages to our API hosted in our web server farm. Our web servers
    > domain are still currently hosted at the dns hosted company so when
    > calling the API and trying to resolve the images on our servers they
    > could not because it was trying to make a recursive call to the domain
    > we did not transfer to us yet. To fix this I enabled recursive on the
    > slaves until we complete the migration of all the zones to our server
    > over the next two weeks.

    I don't understand why you needed to do this. If your server is not
    recursive, why are you pointing to it in your resolver? Your resolver
    should point to a caching server somewhere.

    > Did enabling recursive on the slave make they so that they can not been
    > seen as authoritive of any zones they host? Again the slaves were
    > responding as Authoritive for the zones they hosted until I enabled
    > recursive on them.

    Enabling recursion shouldn't have any effect on authoritative zones.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA