no servers could be reached - DNS

This is a discussion on no servers could be reached - DNS ; I have bind 9.3.4 install and running on RH5. I am not able to query it successfully. Here are the trouble shooting techniques I have used thus far: All of them work when run from the command line of the ...

  1. no servers could be reached

    I have bind 9.3.4 install and running on RH5. I am not able to query it successfully. Here are the trouble shooting techniques I have used thus far: All of them work when run from the command line of the DNS server its self. The trouble starts when trying to query this DNS server from another machine. So again, locally, DNS queries are working.

    Explicitly using TCP, a query is successful
    dig @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com. soa +vc

    When using UDP (as I assume the following command does) no luck. The following is printed.
    dig @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com.

    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com.
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: printcmd

    I have also tried:
    nslookup
    > lserver xx.xx.xx.xxx
    >www.abcnews.com

    I recieve the same message, connection timed out: no servers could be reached.

    I am able to telnet into port 53, as I'm sure the TCP port is working just fine.

    The lsof command shows the following:

    named 3776 named 20u IPv4 12822 UDP 127.0.0.1:domain
    named 3776 named 21u IPv4 12823 TCP 127.0.0.1:domain (LISTEN)
    named 3776 named 22u IPv4 12824 UDP xx.xx.xx.xxx:domain
    named 3776 named 23u IPv4 12825 TCP xx.xx.xx.xxx:domain (LISTEN)
    named 3776 named 24u IPv4 12826 UDP *:40624
    named 3776 named 25u IPv6 12827 UDP *:48884
    named 3776 named 26u IPv4 12828 TCP 127.0.0.1:rndc (LISTEN)

    And finally, I have tried these commands with the firewall turned off. It appears as if UDP port 53 simply isn't listening. I am out of ideas.

    Is there a configuration option new to bind 9.3 that I'm not thinking of? Is there a service that I need to have running that's not?

    Thank you in advance.

    Pete

  2. Re: no servers could be reached

    On Oct 19, 1:52*am, i...@mtdatasure.com wrote:
    > I have *bind 9.3.4 install and running on RH5. *I am not able to query it successfully. *Here are the trouble shooting techniques I have used thus far: *All of them work when run from the command line of the DNS server its self. *The trouble starts when trying to query this DNS server from another machine. *So again, locally, DNS queries are working.
    >
    > Explicitly using TCP, a query is successful
    > dig @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com. soa +vc
    >
    > When using UDP (as I assume the following command does) no luck. *The following is printed.
    > dig @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com.

    I am experiencing the same issue with bind 9.4.2 on Ubuntu Server
    (hardy). Would welcome any help.

  3. Re: no servers could be reached

    On Oct 19, 1:52*am, i...@mtdatasure.com wrote:
    > I have *bind 9.3.4 install and running on RH5. *I am not able to query it successfully. *Here are the trouble shooting techniques I have used thus far: *All of them work when run from the command line of the DNS server its self. *The trouble starts when trying to query this DNS server from another machine. *So again, locally, DNS queries are working.
    >
    > Explicitly using TCP, a query is successful
    > dig @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com. soa +vc
    >
    > When using UDP (as I assume the following command does) no luck. *The following is printed.
    > dig @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com.
    >
    > ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @xx.xx.xx.xxx yahoo.com.
    > ; (1 server found)
    > ;; global options: *printcmd

    What finally worked for me was turning of my _local_ iptables and
    realizing I was blocking UDP connections coming back to me from the
    DNS server. A quick edit to my local iptables restored everything to
    perfect worknig order with or without TCP.

    -Titi

+ Reply to Thread