Re: What are the applications that need DNS reverse resolution? - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: What are the applications that need DNS reverse resolution? - DNS ; Thinking of mail, first our mailserver's ssh login does not let you in if you do not have a name. Same goes for many web sites. Next the IMAP server looks for a valid name and the SMTP daemon wont ...

  1. Re: What are the applications that need DNS reverse resolution?

    Thinking of mail, first our mailserver's ssh login does not let
    you in if you do not have a name. Same goes for many web sites.

    Next the IMAP server looks for a valid name and the SMTP daemon
    wont even ask you for AUTH. Without AUTH there is no mail forwarding.

    The IMAP receiver on port 25 will treat emails as spam if your
    reverse name and your sender come from different TLDs.

    I have seen the new Firefox (Ubuntu) doing or better not doing
    a lot of peculiar things if scripts or cookies comes from sites
    without names.

    Dont forget tcpwrapper (inetd) and xinetd are doing reverse lookup
    and break things like ftp, uucp, smtp, time and many others.

    Kind regards
    Peter

    --
    Peter and Karin Dambier
    Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana

  2. Re: What are the applications that need DNS reverse resolution?

    In article ,
    Peter Dambier wrote:

    > Thinking of mail, first our mailserver's ssh login does not let
    > you in if you do not have a name. Same goes for many web sites.

    I doubt that many web sites do this. Lots of ISPs don't configure
    reverse DNS for their customers, although this has gotten much better in
    recent years. Second, most web sites try to provide the fastest
    response time they can, and doing a reverse lookup would slow things
    down too much.

    > Next the IMAP server looks for a valid name and the SMTP daemon
    > wont even ask you for AUTH. Without AUTH there is no mail forwarding.
    >
    > The IMAP receiver on port 25 will treat emails as spam if your
    > reverse name and your sender come from different TLDs.

    ITYM SMTP. IMAP is used for reading mail, not sending it.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: What are the applications that need DNS reverse resolution?

    Barry you are right. it is SMTP. Did not wear my glasses when
    typing

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Peter Dambier wrote:
    >
    >> Thinking of mail, first our mailserver's ssh login does not let
    >> you in if you do not have a name. Same goes for many web sites.

    > I doubt that many web sites do this. Lots of ISPs don't configure
    > reverse DNS for their customers, although this has gotten much better in
    > recent years. Second, most web sites try to provide the fastest
    > response time they can, and doing a reverse lookup would slow things
    > down too much.
    >
    >> Next the IMAP server looks for a valid name and the SMTP daemon
    >> wont even ask you for AUTH. Without AUTH there is no mail forwarding.
    >>
    >> The IMAP receiver on port 25 will treat emails as spam if your
    >> reverse name and your sender come from different TLDs.

    > ITYM SMTP. IMAP is used for reading mail, not sending it.

    --
    Peter and Karin Dambier
    Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana
    Rimbacher Strasse 16