On 10.10.08 16:37, Chris Henderson wrote:
> Any idea what could it be?

IT's the slave that can't connect to master. Check firewall settings,
routing or whatever.

> None of my clients can query the DNS on the
> slave. But they all can SSH, ping or traceroute to the slave. Here's
> snippet of tcpdump output of querying the secondary for www.mit.edu:
> 55650+ A? www.mit.edu. (29)
> 55650 Refused- 0/0/0 (29)
> nmap port 53 shows it's open.

log on the slave and query the master. tcpdump the communication on the
master too. Check both TCP and UDP communication.

> > What does nmap mean by "is filtered"? I'm not sure what it's trying to
> > denote.

> means nmap can't determine if it's open or closed.

which mostly happens when firewall drops all packets, so the connection
won't get accepted nor rejected. This might your problem.