Adding new domains without restarting - DNS

This is a discussion on Adding new domains without restarting - DNS ; Good day to all, I work in a highly change controlled environment, and one of the things that flags a change as no-go is having to restart named due to the risk of taking down a functional server due to ...

  1. Adding new domains without restarting

    Good day to all,

    I work in a highly change controlled environment, and one of the things
    that flags a change as no-go is having to restart named due to the risk
    of taking down a functional server due to a misconfig.

    We have mitigated this to some extent by using rndc reloads to load new
    zone info, allowing for lower risk changes to zones. However, adding
    new zones is still considered high risk, as a restart of the daemon is
    required. Additionally, we lose the cache, which could negatively
    impact service.

    So my question is this - is it possible to add a new zone to a currently
    running server and have it load? If there are named.conf/zonefile
    typos, will that impact any currently running zones? I suspect that
    rndc recofig may do what I want, however finding definitive information
    about exactly what is going on, and what the risks are, is diffcult.
    The googles are failing me today, or my google fu is weak.

    They key features I need are that existing functional zones couldn't be
    impacted, and the cache isn't lost.

    Thanks for the help,

    Cheers,

    Todd.

  2. Re: Adding new domains without restarting

    "Todd Snyder" wrote in message
    > I work in a highly change controlled environment, and one of the things
    > that flags a change as no-go is having to restart named due to the risk
    > of taking down a functional server due to a misconfig.
    >
    > We have mitigated this to some extent by using rndc reloads to load new
    > zone info, allowing for lower risk changes to zones. However, adding
    > new zones is still considered high risk, as a restart of the daemon is
    > required. Additionally, we lose the cache, which could negatively
    > impact service.
    >
    > So my question is this - is it possible to add a new zone to a currently
    > running server and have it load?

    Yes.

    > If there are named.conf/zonefile
    > typos, will that impact any currently running zones?

    It may.

    > I suspect that
    > rndc recofig may do what I want, however finding definitive information
    > about exactly what is going on, and what the risks are, is diffcult.
    > The googles are failing me today, or my google fu is weak.

    Precisely. However, run "named-checkconf" first.