How to list hostnames stored in name server - DNS

This is a discussion on How to list hostnames stored in name server - DNS ; Folks, Is there a way to list the host name entries stored in a name server? E.g. if several A/SOA records are stored, to simply list them and seeing output hostname/ip entries pairs. Thanks, BEA...

  1. How to list hostnames stored in name server

    Folks,

    Is there a way to list the host name entries stored in a name server?
    E.g. if several A/SOA records are stored, to simply list them and
    seeing output hostname/ip entries pairs.

    Thanks,
    BEA

  2. Re: How to list hostnames stored in name server

    In article , Beagle
    wrote:

    > Is there a way to list the host name entries stored in a name server?
    > E.g. if several A/SOA records are stored, to simply list them and
    > seeing output hostname/ip entries pairs.

    If you know the zones that a server hosts, and your IP is in its
    allow-transfer access list, you can do:

    dig axfr @

    for each zone.

    If you don't know the zones it hosts, there's no standard mechanism for
    getting the zone list remotely.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA