DNS behavior question. - DNS

This is a discussion on DNS behavior question. - DNS ; I'm no expert when it comes to DNS so forgive me if this seems a stupid question. Yesterday one of my sites had a dns issue.. i think the servers went down. I couldn't get on to the hosting provider ...

  1. DNS behavior question.

    I'm no expert when it comes to DNS so forgive me if this seems a
    stupid question.

    Yesterday one of my sites had a dns issue.. i think the servers went
    down. I couldn't get on to the hosting provider where the dns was
    hosted for over an hour so I redirected my domain to backup
    nameservers.. which also pointed to a new host server for my website.
    I left it like this for about 3 hours until the dns issue was resolved
    and then changed the domain to point back to the old nameservers and
    hence the old host server.

    Anyway.. what I'm confused about is the behavior.. When i made the
    first change to point to the temporary nameserver and the initial
    nameserver was down the results were more or less instant. Whereas
    now, after I have switched it back I am still getting half of the site
    traffic going to one host server and half to the other almost 24 hours
    later. Is this normal behaviour?

  2. Re: DNS behavior question.

    In article ,
    danjourno wrote:

    > I'm no expert when it comes to DNS so forgive me if this seems a
    > stupid question.
    >
    > Yesterday one of my sites had a dns issue.. i think the servers went
    > down. I couldn't get on to the hosting provider where the dns was
    > hosted for over an hour so I redirected my domain to backup
    > nameservers.. which also pointed to a new host server for my website.
    > I left it like this for about 3 hours until the dns issue was resolved
    > and then changed the domain to point back to the old nameservers and
    > hence the old host server.
    >
    > Anyway.. what I'm confused about is the behavior.. When i made the
    > first change to point to the temporary nameserver and the initial
    > nameserver was down the results were more or less instant. Whereas
    > now, after I have switched it back I am still getting half of the site
    > traffic going to one host server and half to the other almost 24 hours
    > later. Is this normal behaviour?

    Have you removed your zone from the backup nameservers? If not, then
    all the sites that have those NS records cached will continue to get
    successful lookups. And those lookups will probably include authority
    records that point to the backup nameservers, which will update the
    caches. As a result, the NS records pointing to the backup nameservers
    will not time out of the caches very easily.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA