problem with notifies to secondary when both servers have internal IPs - DNS

This is a discussion on problem with notifies to secondary when both servers have internal IPs - DNS ; I used to have my servers setup with views to handle internal queries and external queries respectively. I've since gotten rid of the internal view, and setup to new internal ONLY bind server that works beautifually and answers only to ...

  1. problem with notifies to secondary when both servers have internal IPs

    I used to have my servers setup with views to handle internal queries and
    external queries respectively. I've since gotten rid of the internal view,
    and setup to new internal ONLY bind server that works beautifually and
    answers only to internal devices. no public access is available to this
    server and it primarily answers with private 172/192 addresses.
    All my servers are benind a firewall and are accessed from the outside using
    static nat routes. so the public IP is on the FW, and all servers,
    including all bind servers have 172 addresses.

    I'm now trying to button up my new ns1/ns2 bind servers that will be
    answering queries from the outside world. answers from this box will be
    public IPs, not the 172/192's.

    My problem is, because my nameserver name resolves to one ip from the
    outside (public ip), and another ip from the inside (private ip), how am i
    supposed to get notifies working as it is attempting to use the resolved
    name it already hosts....and in the case of the ns1/ns2 for public use, it
    resolves to the public address, for which it of course cannot communicate
    with because they are each on the same private lan.

    I hope i explained this in a way that everyone can understand.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: problem with notifies to secondary when both servers have internal IPs

    In article ,
    "Michael Varre" wrote:

    > I used to have my servers setup with views to handle internal queries and
    > external queries respectively. I've since gotten rid of the internal view,
    > and setup to new internal ONLY bind server that works beautifually and
    > answers only to internal devices. no public access is available to this
    > server and it primarily answers with private 172/192 addresses.
    > All my servers are benind a firewall and are accessed from the outside using
    > static nat routes. so the public IP is on the FW, and all servers,
    > including all bind servers have 172 addresses.
    >
    > I'm now trying to button up my new ns1/ns2 bind servers that will be
    > answering queries from the outside world. answers from this box will be
    > public IPs, not the 172/192's.
    >
    > My problem is, because my nameserver name resolves to one ip from the
    > outside (public ip), and another ip from the inside (private ip), how am i
    > supposed to get notifies working as it is attempting to use the resolved
    > name it already hosts....and in the case of the ns1/ns2 for public use, it
    > resolves to the public address, for which it of course cannot communicate
    > with because they are each on the same private lan.
    >
    > I hope i explained this in a way that everyone can understand.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Use the also-notify option in named.conf to send the notifies to the
    private IP.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA