Jarek Buczyński wrote:
> I use because I read about it in "DNS and BIND, 5th Edition
> By Paul Albitz, Cricket Liu "
> Quote:
> "You can also configure the resolver to query the host's local nameserver
> using either the local host's IP address or the zero address. The zero
> address,, is interpreted by most TCP/IP implementations to mean
> "this host." The host's real IP address, of course, also means "this host.."
> On hosts that don't understand the zero address, you can use the loopback
> address,"

I was of the understanding "" is a special IP address that means
"any interface." E.g. in Apache you can say "Listen" to listen
on all IP addresses instead of having to use a specific address.
The text above says "most TCP/IP implementations"... not all, so it's
another variable that could cause problems and is best ruling out in

In any case, FreeBSD nor Windows understand it:

PING ( 56 data bytes

--- ping statistics ---

Destination specified is invalid.
Destination specified is invalid.
Destination specified is invalid.

Ping statistics for
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 0, Lost = 3 (100% loss)

Redhat seems to translate it into anyway:

PING ( 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.227 ms
64 bytes from icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.163 ms