Stephen Lack wrote:
> Good evening from a wet colorado fall night.
> I want to say first, thank you so much to the ISC team, you
> have provided an amazing array of top class software and I
> have enjoyed using it. Thank you.
> Ok, let me get straight to it. I have a been steadily upgrading
> through the various 9.x versions, and most recently have had
> 9.5.0-P1 running, and have followed all the posts on this list
> with respect to the memory leaks, etc. I, too, have noticed
> this. What I did was put an entry in my crontab file (yes, I'm
> old school, and use cron on windows to time my jobs...) to
> restart bind every 8 hours. This has been an ok workaround...the
> memory gets freed, and bind starts up clean. I loose the
> cache, to be sure, but at least I don't run out of pagefile.
> I got the note that 9.5.0-P2-W1 was out, and upgraded. I just
> do the upgrade manually, by replacing files by hand, its
> just easier that way and I know where everything goes. I do have
> to reboot to free the lock on bindevt.dll but other than that,
> its straightforward.

You don't really need to replace bindevt.dll since there have been no
changes in it since BIND 9 was first released. In fact it is the same as
was in BIND8.

> All seemed to be going fine, then I noticed bind wasn't resolving
> after an hour or so.

As Evan said a fix for this is in process.

> It responds fine to an rndc status, but not to dig or nslookup; it
> just times out. In addition, the log file shows the following entry:
> client: error: UDP client handler shutting down due to fatal receive error:
> end of file
> (I'm aware of this on 'nix, but this is win32 mind you...)
> I also noted in the win event app log, the following upon startup:
> the 'files' limit (2048) is less than FD_SETSIZE (16384), increase 'files'
> in named.conf or recompile with a smaller FD_SETSIZE.
> I don't use the files option...which should default to unlimited, so
> what that means is a mystery. I put in a files option with 16385 and
> still got the error notice.

Ignore this. The Windows implementation doesn't need it. It really has
to do with sockets rather than files and sockets are handled very
differently on Windows.