Hello,

I'm using BIND 9.3.4-P1 on Linux CentOS 5.2.

I'm trying to set up a local caching DNS server but when I try to test
my set-up using:

dig google.com +trace

I get the message:

dig: couldn't get address for 'F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET': failure

I'm pretty much a DNS beginner but I'd really like to understand why
this is happening.

From what I've read, when I do a dig query, BIND checks its own cache
and if the domain's info is not in there, it consults the root name
servers as contained in /var/named/chroot/var/named/named.ca

From the output of dig, I'm presuming it's failing at that point.

I can ping the IP addresses of most of the root DNS servers but not all
of them.

The only way I can make dig work properly is to insert my ISP's DNS
servers into my named.conf, thus:

forwarders { 165.76.12.2; 165.76.116.2; };
forward only;

If anyone can shed any light on my problem, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Ian Masters

p.s. As I understand it, the entries in /etc/resolv.conf are irrelevant
to servers running BIND.