Wildcard DNS - DNS

This is a discussion on Wildcard DNS - DNS ; Greetings List, I wanted to ask for some advice with regards to setting up a wildcard dns, a box that I will set on all my domains (unused ones) that will point them to a specific page i want. is ...

  1. Wildcard DNS

    Greetings List,

    I wanted to ask for some advice with regards to setting up a
    wildcard dns, a box that I will set on all my domains (unused ones)
    that will point them to a specific page i want. is it possible to do
    this on just one zone file? one that will answer all the domains
    pointed to it?

    Scenario:

    If i have 5k domains, I want to point all those domains to my bind
    box, and I want bind to answer them and point them to only one site
    that i specified. I don't want to create a zone file per domain.

    any help will be greatly appreciated.

    regards,
    -B

  2. Re: Wildcard DNS

    In article , Beavis wrote:

    > Greetings List,
    >
    > I wanted to ask for some advice with regards to setting up a
    > wildcard dns, a box that I will set on all my domains (unused ones)
    > that will point them to a specific page i want. is it possible to do
    > this on just one zone file? one that will answer all the domains
    > pointed to it?
    >
    > Scenario:
    >
    > If i have 5k domains, I want to point all those domains to my bind
    > box, and I want bind to answer them and point them to only one site
    > that i specified. I don't want to create a zone file per domain.

    Just use the same "file" parameter in all the zone statements.

    zone "foo.com" {
    type master;
    file "wildcard.db";
    };

    zone "bar.com" {
    type master;
    file "wildcard.db";
    };

    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Wildcard DNS

    Barry,

    thanks for the reply, can you give me a bit of a hint with regards
    to the format of the actual zone?

    On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article , Beavis wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings List,
    >>
    >> I wanted to ask for some advice with regards to setting up a
    >> wildcard dns, a box that I will set on all my domains (unused ones)
    >> that will point them to a specific page i want. is it possible to do
    >> this on just one zone file? one that will answer all the domains
    >> pointed to it?
    >>
    >> Scenario:
    >>
    >> If i have 5k domains, I want to point all those domains to my bind
    >> box, and I want bind to answer them and point them to only one site
    >> that i specified. I don't want to create a zone file per domain.

    > Just use the same "file" parameter in all the zone statements.
    >
    > zone "foo.com" {
    > type master;
    > file "wildcard.db";
    > };
    >
    > zone "bar.com" {
    > type master;
    > file "wildcard.db";
    > };
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

  4. Re: Wildcard DNS

    Just make sure to use "relative" hostnames.
    @ IN SOA blah blah
    ( )

    www IN A 1.1.1.1
    ftp IN A 1.1.1.2

    Etc. That way the origin of whatever the zone was loaded as is used to
    finish the hostnames.
    In Barry's example, that zone loaded as he put it would make www.foo.comand
    www.bar.com point to 1.1.1.1 and ftp.foo.com and ftp.bar.com point to
    1.1.1.2

    --
    -Ben Croswell

    On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Beavis wrote:

    > Barry,
    >
    > thanks for the reply, can you give me a bit of a hint with regards
    > to the format of the actual zone?
    >
    > On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Barry Margolin
    > wrote:
    > > In article , Beavis wrote:
    > >
    > >> Greetings List,
    > >>
    > >> I wanted to ask for some advice with regards to setting up a
    > >> wildcard dns, a box that I will set on all my domains (unused ones)
    > >> that will point them to a specific page i want. is it possible to do
    > >> this on just one zone file? one that will answer all the domains
    > >> pointed to it?
    > >>
    > >> Scenario:
    > >>
    > >> If i have 5k domains, I want to point all those domains to my bind
    > >> box, and I want bind to answer them and point them to only one site
    > >> that i specified. I don't want to create a zone file per domain.

    > > Just use the same "file" parameter in all the zone statements.
    > >
    > > zone "foo.com" {
    > > type master;
    > > file "wildcard.db";
    > > };
    > >
    > > zone "bar.com" {
    > > type master;
    > > file "wildcard.db";
    > > };
    > >
    > > --
    > > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > > Arlington, MA
    > > *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***

+ Reply to Thread