Can BIND on vpn use name servers assigned via DHCP by ISP? - DNS

This is a discussion on Can BIND on vpn use name servers assigned via DHCP by ISP? - DNS ; Hi, I have setup a home gateway (2 ethernet cards, one on the WAN and the other on my private network (vpn)). The WAN interface gets configured via DHCP from my ISP. The ISP also provides the addresses of its ...

  1. Can BIND on vpn use name servers assigned via DHCP by ISP?

    Hi,

    I have setup a home gateway (2 ethernet cards, one on the WAN and the other
    on my private network (vpn)).

    The WAN interface gets configured via DHCP from my ISP. The ISP also
    provides the addresses of its primary and backup nameservers. I believe
    these get written into /etc/resolv.conf

    The VPN interface has a private static IP address, and a local DNS server
    runs off this interface for the rest of the clients on the vpn.

    Anyway, so far, this a very vanilla setup. But I am not sure how to make
    the local DNS forward every query it receives to the nameservers that appear
    in /etc/resolv.conf

    Anyone know how to configure the local DNS to do that? Caching on the local
    DNS would also be nice, but the forwarding bit is more important to me right
    now.

    Thanks,

    - Jorge

    FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo buy and sell with people
    you know
    http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex..._tagline_12/06

  2. Re: Can BIND on vpn use name servers assigned via DHCP by ISP?

    In article ,
    "Jorge Canas" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have setup a home gateway (2 ethernet cards, one on the WAN and the other
    > on my private network (vpn)).
    >
    > The WAN interface gets configured via DHCP from my ISP. The ISP also
    > provides the addresses of its primary and backup nameservers. I believe
    > these get written into /etc/resolv.conf
    >
    > The VPN interface has a private static IP address, and a local DNS server
    > runs off this interface for the rest of the clients on the vpn.
    >
    > Anyway, so far, this a very vanilla setup. But I am not sure how to make
    > the local DNS forward every query it receives to the nameservers that appear
    > in /etc/resolv.conf
    >
    > Anyone know how to configure the local DNS to do that? Caching on the local
    > DNS would also be nice, but the forwarding bit is more important to me right
    > now.

    named doesn't make use of resolv.conf, it uses the "forwarders" option
    in named.conf.

    You could run a cron job every minute that checks whether resolv.conf
    has changed, and if so it copies the servers into the forwarders option
    of named.conf and runs "rndc reconfig".

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA