not authoritative while zone transfer - DNS

This is a discussion on not authoritative while zone transfer - DNS ; Hello List, I am trying to add a zone today abc.def i added the zone on the primary server and tried to update the secondary server but i got the error not authoritative after notify recieved, i have another backup ...

  1. not authoritative while zone transfer

    Hello List,
    I am trying to add a zone today abc.def
    i added the zone on the primary server and tried to update the secondary server but i got the error not authoritative after notify recieved,
    i have another backup MS dns server which was updated normally and zone transfer was done to the MS machine with no problems
    what might be the problem,

  2. Re: not authoritative while zone transfer

    In article ,
    "Wael Shahin" wrote:

    > Hello List,
    > I am trying to add a zone today abc.def
    > i added the zone on the primary server and tried to update the secondary
    > server but i got the error not authoritative after notify recieved,

    This usually means there was a syntax error in the zone file on the
    master server, which prevented it from loading the zone successfully.
    Check the log on the master for errors.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: not authoritative while zone transfer

    On Feb 5, 8:02 am, Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Wael Shahin" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello List,
    > > I am trying to add a zone today abc.def
    > > i added the zone on the primary server and tried to update the secondary
    > > server but i got the error not authoritative after notify recieved,

    > This usually means there was a syntax error in the zone file on the
    > master server, which prevented it from loading the zone successfully.
    > Check the log on the master for errors.

    I thought that would be the problem too and I have double checked the
    zone file on the server and created a new zone for testing and it stil
    gives the same error and MS DNS is still able to transfer successfully

    here is the conf line
    zone "example.com" {type master; file "db.example.com"; allow-query
    {any;}; allow-transfer {192.168.1.10; 192.168.1.18; };};

    here is the zone file
    ; BIND db file for example.com

    $TTL 86400

    @ IN SOA ns1.nesma.net.sa.
    hostmaster.example.com. (
    06020409 ; se = serial number
    3h ; ref = refresh
    15m ; ret = update retry
    3w ; ex = expiry
    3h ; min = minimum
    )
    ;//////////////////////////Name
    Servers///////////////////////////////////

    IN NS ns1.nesma.net.sa.
    IN NS ns2.nesma.net.sa.

    ;/////////////////////////MX
    Records/////////////////////////////////////

    ; IN MX 10 mail.domain.tld.
    ; IN MX 20 mail.example.com.

    ;//////////////////////// A
    Records ////////////////////////////////////

    IN A 123.123.123.123
    www IN A 123.123.123.123

    ;/////////////////////// CNAME
    Records ////////////////////////////////

    ftp IN CNAME www.example.com.
    ; IN CNAME A.domain.tld.

    and here is the log from /var/log/messages for ns1, the master
    Feb 5 09:58:00 localhost named[24069]: zone dmtc.edu.sa/IN: loaded
    serial 6020501
    Feb 5 09:58:00 localhost named[24069]: zone dmtc.edu.sa/IN: sending
    notifies (serial 6020501)

    Feb 5 10:00:25 localhost named[24069]: client 192.168.1.10#4199:
    transfer of 'dmtc.edu.sa/IN': AXFR started
    Feb 5 10:00:25 localhost named[24069]: client 192.168.1.10#4199:
    transfer of 'dmtc.edu.sa/IN': AXFR ended

    but secondary bind DNS is still giving the same error

    > Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

  4. Re: not authoritative while zone transfer

    Ok, this is a very silly mistake and am sorry, however am going to
    state what happened.

    I have secondary bind DNS chrooted, and i have installed a new
    named.conf with new configuration under /etc
    while the original conf file bind uses is /var/named/chroot/blah

    am sorry again but at least it might be useful for newbies, i guess

+ Reply to Thread