BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding - DNS

This is a discussion on BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding - DNS ; I just upgraded from BIND 9.4.2 to BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 on Windows Server 2003. The service no longer crashes like it did in P1 and P2, however after about 12 hours of load, named just stops responding to queries completely. The ...

  1. BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    I just upgraded from BIND 9.4.2 to BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 on Windows Server 2003. The service no longer crashes like it did in P1 and P2, however after about 12 hours of load, named just stops responding to queries completely. The service appears that it is still running but will not respond to any type of query. I've restarted it and it came back to life again. I'm going to watch it more carefully to look for any other types of symptoms. I checked the log files and nothing out of the ordinary was in the logs. In fact, according to the logs, it appears that zone transfers were still happily taking place while it was not responding to queries.

    I don't know if these have anything to do with the issue, but there are a few odd errors I noted after starting it back up that are appearing in the logs. They are:

    05-Sep-2008 13:19:26.827 dispatch: dispatch 03E25098: shutting down due to TCP receive error: : network unreachable

    05-Sep-2008 13:20:38.171 general: .\socket.c:2340: unexpected error:
    05-Sep-2008 13:20:38.171 general: unable to convert errno to isc_result: 121: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

    05-Sep-2008 13:21:14.733 dispatch: dispatch 03E288B0: shutting down due to TCP receive error: : network unreachable

    05-Sep-2008 13:21:44.122 general: .\socket.c:2340: unexpected error:
    05-Sep-2008 13:21:44.122 general: unable to convert errno to isc_result: 121: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

    05-Sep-2008 13:23:35.351 general: .\socket.c:2340: unexpected error:
    05-Sep-2008 13:23:35.351 general: unable to convert errno to isc_result: 121: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

    05-Sep-2008 13:24:41.300 general: .\socket.c:2340: unexpected error:
    05-Sep-2008 13:24:41.300 general: unable to convert errno to isc_result: 121: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

    There are other normal messages in between those errors. I just picked them out.

    Some possible information that might help with this server's configuration. This server has multiple IPv4 IP addresses bound to the same network and same NIC. There is no IPv6 stack installed on the server. This server currently does recursion and also hosts some secondary zones as well.

    -Vinny

  2. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    On 5 Sep, 18:33, Vinny Abello wrote:
    > I just upgraded from BIND 9.4.2 to BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 on Windows Server 2003. The service no longer crashes like it did in P1 and P2, however after about 12 hours of load, named just stops responding to queries completely. The service appears that it is still running but will not respond to any type of query. I've restarted it and it came back to life again. I'm going to watch it more carefully to look for any other types of symptoms. I checked the log files and nothing out of the ordinary was in the logs. In fact, according to the logs, it appears that zone transfers were still happily taking place while it was not responding to queries.

    [snip]

    > Some possible information that might help with this server's configuration. This server has multiple IPv4 IP addresses bound to the same network and same NIC. There is no IPv6 stack installed on the server. This server currently does recursion and also hosts some secondary zones as well.
    >
    > -Vinny

    Hi,

    Just want to add a 'me too'. We've got a very similar setup: Windows
    2003 SP2 with multiple IPv4 addresses bound to a single NIC. No IPv6.
    Server is authoratitive for about 300 zones files and also recurses.
    Just stops answering UDP queries after a few hours, it's OK if you
    stop and restart it. No event logs worth mentioning.

    Darren

  3. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    Speaking about logs using BIND in Windows, how are you guys configuring your
    named.conf file because even though I have configured the named.conf as
    follows for logs, the named.log gets created by BIND with 0 bytes but has
    remained at 0 bytes ever since. Thanks!
    logging {
    channel named_log {
    file "c:\windows\system32\dns\log\named.log" versions 3 size
    1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    category default{
    };
    };

    Cheers,
    Vince

    On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:27 AM, wrote:

    > On 5 Sep, 18:33, Vinny Abello wrote:
    > > I just upgraded from BIND 9.4.2 to BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 on Windows Server

    > 2003. The service no longer crashes like it did in P1 and P2, however after
    > about 12 hours of load, named just stops responding to queries completely.
    > The service appears that it is still running but will not respond to any
    > type of query. I've restarted it and it came back to life again. I'm going
    > to watch it more carefully to look for any other types of symptoms. I
    > checked the log files and nothing out of the ordinary was in the logs. In
    > fact, according to the logs, it appears that zone transfers were still
    > happily taking place while it was not responding to queries.
    > >

    > [snip]
    > >
    > > Some possible information that might help with this server's

    > configuration. This server has multiple IPv4 IP addresses bound to the same
    > network and same NIC. There is no IPv6 stack installed on the server. This
    > server currently does recursion and also hosts some secondary zones as well.
    > >
    > > -Vinny

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just want to add a 'me too'. We've got a very similar setup: Windows
    > 2003 SP2 with multiple IPv4 addresses bound to a single NIC. No IPv6.
    > Server is authoratitive for about 300 zones files and also recurses.
    > Just stops answering UDP queries after a few hours, it's OK if you
    > stop and restart it. No event logs worth mentioning.
    >
    > Darren

  4. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    Just had it stop responding and I've found this in my "client" log:

    09-Sep-2008 12:33:18.163 client: error: UDP client handler shutting down due
    to fatal receive error: end of file
    09-Sep-2008 12:33:18.178 client: error: UDP client handler shutting down due
    to fatal receive error: end of file

    Not only the question remains, 'which file'???

    Regards,

    Darren

  5. RE: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    I was waiting for a me too. I knew they were coming. Your configuration appears to be the same. I'm really tired of both waiting for Windows patches for BIND, and having Windows specific bugs in the BIND code. I've put up with many of them for years. BIND 9 until recently was pretty stable on Windows for the most part, but I'm going to have to abandon Windows for my DNS servers as it just puts me in a bad position waiting for patches and having unstable DNS services. For now we've been keeping 9.4.2 running on Windows for our authoritative non-recursive servers and been replacing our recursive servers with FreeBSD and BIND 9.4.2-P2.

    -Vinny

  6. RE: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    We do something like this:

    logging {
    channel named_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\named.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    channel security_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\security.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    channel update_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\update.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    channel xfer_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\xfer.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    category default { named_log; };
    category lame-servers { null; };
    category security { security_log; };
    category update { update_log; };
    category update-security { update_log; };
    category xfer-in { xfer_log; };
    category xfer-out { xfer_log; };
    };

    The user created to run named is a standard user by default. Be sure they have permissions to write to the directory you specify in your configuration.

    -Vinny

  7. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    Thanks, I have a question. Is there somewhere on the net that has something
    explaining the different variables and options for the logging config since
    in Unix, everything is sent to the systemlog but with Windows, it's another
    story. Also, other than the different filesnames of your channels, wouldn't
    the output be identical or does named actually have defined names of the
    type which is what the channel names are? Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Vince

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Vinny Abello wrote:

    > We do something like this:
    >
    > logging {
    > channel named_log {
    > file "c:\bind\log\named.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    > severity dynamic;
    > print-category yes;
    > print-time yes;
    > };
    > channel security_log {
    > file "c:\bind\log\security.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    > severity dynamic;
    > print-category yes;
    > print-time yes;
    > };
    > channel update_log {
    > file "c:\bind\log\update.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    > severity dynamic;
    > print-category yes;
    > print-time yes;
    > };
    > channel xfer_log {
    > file "c:\bind\log\xfer.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    > severity dynamic;
    > print-category yes;
    > print-time yes;
    > };
    > category default { named_log; };
    > category lame-servers { null; };
    > category security { security_log; };
    > category update { update_log; };
    > category update-security { update_log; };
    > category xfer-in { xfer_log; };
    > category xfer-out { xfer_log; };
    > };
    >

    > The user created to run named is a standard user by default. Be sure they
    > have permissions to write to the directory you specify in your
    > configuration.
    >
    > -Vinny

  8. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    Vincent Poy wrote:
    > Thanks, I have a question. Is there somewhere on the net that has something
    > explaining the different variables and options for the logging config since
    > in Unix, everything is sent to the systemlog but with Windows, it's another
    > story. Also, other than the different filesnames of your channels, wouldn't
    > the output be identical or does named actually have defined names of the
    > type which is what the channel names are? Thanks.
    > Cheers,
    > Vince
    >
    > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Vinny Abello wrote:

    Is this what your looking for?

    http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9...html#id2574782

    http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9...html#id2574908

    - Kirk

  9. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Kirk wrote:
    > Vincent Poy wrote:
    > > Thanks, I have a question. Is there somewhere on the net that has

    > something
    > > explaining the different variables and options for the logging config

    > since
    > > in Unix, everything is sent to the systemlog but with Windows, it's

    > another
    > > story. Also, other than the different filesnames of your channels,

    > wouldn't
    > > the output be identical or does named actually have defined names of the
    > > type which is what the channel names are? Thanks.
    > > Cheers,
    > > Vince
    > >
    > > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Vinny Abello

    > wrote:
    >
    > Is this what your looking for?
    >
    > http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9...html#id2574782
    >
    > http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9...html#id2574908
    >
    > - Kirk

    Thanks, that was exactly what I needed. Didn't know about the logging
    clause in the named.conf existed, guess I never messed with the named.conf
    other than what's already part of the FreeBSD shipping copy and just add
    zones to it. A question on the severity. Am I reading it correctly that it
    ranks from low to high as follows:
    dynamic, debug, info, notice, warning, error, dynamic? Thanks!

    Cheers,
    Vince

  10. RE: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    I think you're looking for this:
    http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9...html#id2574908

    http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9...ategory_phrase

    The channel names are whatever you want to call them. It's the categories that are predefined.

    -Vinny

    Thanks, I have a question. Is there somewhere on the net that has something explaining the different variables and options for the logging config since in Unix, everything is sent to the systemlog but with Windows, it's another story. Also, other than the different filesnames of your channels, wouldn't the output be identical or does named actually have defined names of the type which is what the channel names are? Thanks.

    Cheers,
    Vince

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Vinny Abello > wrote:
    We do something like this:

    logging {
    channel named_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\named.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    channel security_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\security.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    channel update_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\update.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    channel xfer_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\xfer.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    category default { named_log; };
    category lame-servers { null; };
    category security { security_log; };
    category update { update_log; };
    category update-security { update_log; };
    category xfer-in { xfer_log; };
    category xfer-out { xfer_log; };
    };

    The user created to run named is a standard user by default. Be sure they have permissions to write to the directory you specify in your configuration.

    -Vinny

  11. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    Yep, that's it. Thanks! Would the default category pretty much send
    everything that goes to syslog when nothing for logging is defined?
    Cheers,
    Vince
    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Vinny Abello wrote:

    > I think you're looking for this:
    >

    > http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9...html#id2574908
    >

    > http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm94/Bv9...ategory_phrase
    >

    > The channel names are whatever you want to call them. It's the categories
    > that are predefined.
    >

    > -Vinny

  12. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    > A question on the severity. Am I reading it correctly that it
    > ranks from low to high as follows:
    > dynamic, debug, info, notice, warning, error, dynamic? Thanks!

    Low to high is:

    info (default)
    notice
    warning
    error
    critical

  13. RE: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    Default is "everything else". If you don't define a category, it will go to default instead.
    -Vinny

    Thanks, I have a question. Is there somewhere on the net that has something explaining the different variables and options for the logging config since in Unix, everything is sent to the systemlog but with Windows, it's another story. Also, other than the different filesnames of your channels, wouldn't the output be identical or does named actually have defined names of the type which is what the channel names are? Thanks.

    Cheers,

    Vince

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Vinny Abello > wrote:

    We do something like this:

    logging {
    channel named_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\named.log" versions 3 size 1m;

    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };

    channel security_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\security.log" versions 3 size 1m;

    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };

    channel update_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\update.log" versions 3 size 1m;

    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };

    channel xfer_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\xfer.log" versions 3 size 1m;

    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    category default { named_log; };

    category lame-servers { null; };
    category security { security_log; };
    category update { update_log; };
    category update-security { update_log; };
    category xfer-in { xfer_log; };
    category xfer-out { xfer_log; };
    };

    The user created to run named is a standard user by default. Be sure they have permissions to write to the directory you specify in your configuration.

    -Vinny

  14. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
    > > A question on the severity. Am I reading it correctly that it
    > > ranks from low to high as follows:
    > > dynamic, debug, info, notice, warning, error, dynamic? Thanks!

    > Low to high is:
    >
    > info (default)
    > notice
    > warning
    > error
    > critical

    Where would debug and dynamic fit in since from the page, it would seem like
    debug is lower than info and dynamic is lower than debug.

    Cheers,
    Vince

  15. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    Thanks, maybe I should have asked, what's the difference between default and
    general.
    Cheers,
    Vince

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Vinny Abello wrote:

    > Default is "everything else". If you don't define a category, it will go
    > to default instead.
    >

    > -Vinny

  16. RE: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    I'm strictly guessing without looking at any documentation, and someone else please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think default is everything you don't specify whereas general is a category that is regarding general BIND information that doesn't fall into other more specific categories. General by itself won't contain all the other categories if they are not specified, whereas default would... and in turn if you didn't specify general, the general category logging information I believe would end up under the default category.
    -Vinny

    Thanks, I have a question. Is there somewhere on the net that has something explaining the different variables and options for the logging config since in Unix, everything is sent to the systemlog but with Windows, it's another story. Also, other than the different filesnames of your channels, wouldn't the output be identical or does named actually have defined names of the type which is what the channel names are? Thanks.

    Cheers,

    Vince

    On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Vinny Abello > wrote:

    We do something like this:

    logging {
    channel named_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\named.log" versions 3 size 1m;

    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };

    channel security_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\security.log" versions 3 size 1m;

    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };

    channel update_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\update.log" versions 3 size 1m;

    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };

    channel xfer_log {
    file "c:\bind\log\xfer.log" versions 3 size 1m;

    severity dynamic;
    print-category yes;
    print-time yes;
    };
    category default { named_log; };

    category lame-servers { null; };
    category security { security_log; };
    category update { update_log; };
    category update-security { update_log; };
    category xfer-in { xfer_log; };
    category xfer-out { xfer_log; };
    };

    The user created to run named is a standard user by default. Be sure they have permissions to write to the directory you specify in your configuration.

    -Vinny

  17. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

    Vincent Poy wrote:
    > Thanks, I have a question. Is there somewhere on the net that has something
    > explaining the different variables and options for the logging config since
    > in Unix, everything is sent to the systemlog but with Windows, it's another
    > story. Also, other than the different filesnames of your channels, wouldn't
    > the output be identical or does named actually have defined names of the
    > type which is what the channel names are? Thanks.
    > Cheers,
    > Vince

    The only difference in logging is that whatever on Unix goes to syslog
    goes to the application event log on Windows. Otherwise they do the same
    thing when it comes to logging and logging channels.

    Danny

    > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Vinny Abello wrote:
    >
    >> We do something like this:
    >>
    >> logging {
    >> channel named_log {
    >> file "c:\bind\log\named.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    >> severity dynamic;
    >> print-category yes;
    >> print-time yes;
    >> };
    >> channel security_log {
    >> file "c:\bind\log\security.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    >> severity dynamic;
    >> print-category yes;
    >> print-time yes;
    >> };
    >> channel update_log {
    >> file "c:\bind\log\update.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    >> severity dynamic;
    >> print-category yes;
    >> print-time yes;
    >> };
    >> channel xfer_log {
    >> file "c:\bind\log\xfer.log" versions 3 size 1m;
    >> severity dynamic;
    >> print-category yes;
    >> print-time yes;
    >> };
    >> category default { named_log; };
    >> category lame-servers { null; };
    >> category security { security_log; };
    >> category update { update_log; };
    >> category update-security { update_log; };
    >> category xfer-in { xfer_log; };
    >> category xfer-out { xfer_log; };
    >> };
    >>

    >> The user created to run named is a standard user by default. Be sure they
    >> have permissions to write to the directory you specify in your
    >> configuration.
    >>
    >> -Vinny

  18. Re: BIND 9.4.2-P2-W1 stops responding

+ Reply to Thread