Determining version of BIND running on RHEL 4.0 box - DNS

This is a discussion on Determining version of BIND running on RHEL 4.0 box - DNS ; I'm in the process of learning more about BIND, as I'm now responsible for DNS running on RHEL box. How do I determine which BIND version is running? I do not have root privileges....

  1. Determining version of BIND running on RHEL 4.0 box

    I'm in the process of learning more about BIND, as I'm now responsible
    for DNS running on RHEL box. How do I determine which BIND version is
    running? I do not have root privileges.

  2. Re: Determining version of BIND running on RHEL 4.0 box

    On 04 Sep 2008 in comp.protocols.dns.bind, MaryJane wrote:

    > I'm in the process of learning more about BIND, as I'm now responsible
    > for DNS running on RHEL box. How do I determine which BIND version is
    > running? I do not have root privilege

    "man named" leads to:

    -v Report the version number and exit.

    With many *nix commands, it's worth trying $COMMAND -v or
    $COMMAND --version if you want to see the version. If you're on a box
    that uses yum, you can use "yum info $PACKAGE". Boxes which use RPM
    (which, in general, includes boxes that use yum) have a file called
    "rpmpkgs" in their log directory (/var/log on most) which lists currently
    installed RPMs and their versions. If your box uses apt-get, you can try
    dpkg -l $PACKAGE or dpkg -l|grep $PACKAGE. These methods can, by and
    large, be used by an unprivileged user.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

  3. Re: Determining version of BIND running on RHEL 4.0 box

    In article ,
    Joe Makowiec wrote:

    > On 04 Sep 2008 in comp.protocols.dns.bind, MaryJane wrote:
    >
    > > I'm in the process of learning more about BIND, as I'm now responsible
    > > for DNS running on RHEL box. How do I determine which BIND version is
    > > running? I do not have root privilege

    > "man named" leads to:
    >
    > -v Report the version number and exit.
    >
    > With many *nix commands, it's worth trying $COMMAND -v or
    > $COMMAND --version if you want to see the version. If you're on a box
    > that uses yum, you can use "yum info $PACKAGE". Boxes which use RPM
    > (which, in general, includes boxes that use yum) have a file called
    > "rpmpkgs" in their log directory (/var/log on most) which lists currently
    > installed RPMs and their versions. If your box uses apt-get, you can try
    > dpkg -l $PACKAGE or dpkg -l|grep $PACKAGE. These methods can, by and
    > large, be used by an unprivileged user.

    There are a couple of problems here. The OP states that s/he doesn't
    have root access. S/he therefore may or may not have the necessary
    privilege to run "named -v". S/he also needs to know the path to named,
    and be sure that that path is to the named that is actually running, in
    case there is more than one named executable on the system.

    Sorry about the "s/he" stuff - I'm not sure we can trust the name in a
    Usenet attribution.

    Sam

+ Reply to Thread