At Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:12:48 -0400,
Kevin Darcy wrote:

> >> I'm hoping someone can help as I am completely confused and the BIND ARM
> >> doesnt answer my questions. For one it doesnt explain what categories are
> >> inclusive of others, if any, which I would think some are.
> >> For example:
> >>
> >> I would think that authoritative answers are included in succesful
> >> answers...logical but clearly cant be if you look at the numbers below.

> > authoritative answers include nxdomain and nxrrset.
> > successful answers include authoritative and non-authoritative
> > answers.
> >

> And yet, the number of "successful" answers shown in the stats output
> (previously posted) is significantly *lower* than the number of
> "authoritative" answers. Color me confused as well.

I said "authoritative answers include nxdomain and nxrrset". nxdomain
and nxrrset are not successful answers.

> >> I would think "responses sent" would be inclusive of
> >> success/auth,non-auth,nxrrset, nxdomain, and recursion. Again, the math
> >> doesnt add up.

> > and notifies.
> >

> Hmmm... updates and notifies. I assume they're included in "requests
> received" as well as "responses sent". Are they invisibly included in
> any of the other categories?

I'm not sure if I understand the question. But anyway, for example,
there is a counter in the 'Name Server Statistics' section described
as "update requests rejected", which is a subset of "requests
received".

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.