> > > You still need to randomly select ports and randomly select
> > > txid. When you have a collision you just need to repick
> > > one and/or the other. A port collision alone lets you use
> > > a existing socket.

> > I believe I considered that possibility in the above part of my comment.
> > The question in that case remains: does any existing resolver that
> > supports source port randomization actually do this?
> >
> > > For queries to another server you just set SO_REUSEADDR
> > > when you have a port collision with a port you already have
> > > open as the existing one is in a connected state. If it
> > > is a port that is not already in use you don't set SO_REUSEADDR
> > > so you detect collisions with other applications.

> > I don't see why you need SO_REUSEADDR. Why not simply leave the UDP port
> > unconnected and use sendto in the first place?

> Because you really want to have the kernel do the initial
> filtering of responses. You don't want your recursive
> server seeing every stray UDP packet being sent to you.
> With the amount of malware out there that is trying to get
> in over UDP your recursive server will be getting lots of
> noise if you randomly choose such a port. Connected sockets
> don't interfere with other uses of UDP (e.g. traceroute).
> You can't probe to see what ports are in use by the recursive
> server without making the server actually make queries to
> you.
>
> Mark

Additionally with sendto() you will tend to get locked onto
a open set of ports as you need to wait for the next response
whenever you re-use a port. With connect() each transaction
becomes almost completely independent of other transaction.

Note all the probability analysis being done assume
independent transactions. If you have depenancies between
transactions (i.e. re-use of a socket) then all the analyses
needs to be redone to factor in that socket re-use.

Even without doing such a analysis I can tell you that
re-use makes the system weaker not stronger.

Mark