Can internal root server also forward? - DNS

This is a discussion on Can internal root server also forward? - DNS ; Have an internal root server with zone db.root. Forwarding is not turned on as global option. Tried to add two forward zones with forward only into the root server and it would never forward. NXDOMAIN on localhost digs for that ...

  1. Can internal root server also forward?

    Have an internal root server with zone db.root.
    Forwarding is not turned on as global option. Tried to add two forward
    zones with forward only into the root server and it would never
    forward. NXDOMAIN on localhost digs for that forward zone. If the zone
    is delegated in the the db.root file with NS records it works
    obviusly, The internal root server is running BIND 9.2.2.

    Are there limitations on a root server having forward only zones?

    thanks
    Joe

  2. Re: Can internal root server also forward?

    In article , joeunc
    wrote:

    > Have an internal root server with zone db.root.
    > Forwarding is not turned on as global option. Tried to add two forward
    > zones with forward only into the root server and it would never
    > forward. NXDOMAIN on localhost digs for that forward zone. If the zone
    > is delegated in the the db.root file with NS records it works
    > obviusly, The internal root server is running BIND 9.2.2.
    >
    > Are there limitations on a root server having forward only zones?

    It has nothing to do with being a root server. You would have the same
    problem if you were authoritative for foo.com and tried to configure
    sub.foo.com as a forward zone.

    Forwarders are only used when the server needs to recurse. The
    forwarders simply override the nameservers in the delegation. Global
    forwarders override all NS records, zone-specific forwarders just
    override the NS records for that zone.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA